1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

New question here. First Mtb Bike PLEASE HELP!

shopping for days it seems like reading this review that review then found this website seems the most helpful for advice and such. i am six ft about 190-200 lbs looking at cannondale trail 5 for first bike havent seen one in person yet did see a trek4300 at the lbs yesterday seemed comparable trek had hydraulic cannondale had mech disc any other big difference like the cannondale open for discussion and opinions though

rollin
    Oct 2009
    what type of riding?

price range?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    all around basically
    rode a trail sl3
    and the cannondale trail 5 today
    220$ difference and feel like i could definitely tell the diff. between the two
    suspension on the sl did not lockout although you could tighten it up quite a bit
    had hydraulic brakes too. seemed much faster as well although the gear shifting seemed a bit odd. thanks for the reply would like to get all the insight and advice i can before making a decision.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would also look at components, derailleurs, shifters, etc. good shifting bike will be more noticable as a new rider than braking in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    at first i wanted to stay at no more than the trail 5 at 650
    after riding the trail sl3 i would say that you definitely pay for what you get it seems
    maybe 800$ price tag was 880$ thought about offering 8 and seeing what happens

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    the size would also be a helpful topic
    how much clearance should you have from the top tube to the jewels?