1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

First Mountain Bike advice

Hey guys, looking to get my first mountain bike after ditching BMX. Not too sure exactly what kind of trails I'll be riding or too much else about mountain biking but have rode a few bikes and was looking for advice. My budget is something around $500 or under
    There are two bikes that have caught my eye in the area. A local shop has a new 2011 Specialized Rockhopper 26 for a sale of $409 which I currently have on layaway. The other bike is a used Jamis Dakota 29er on a 2007 frame with what seems like a decent amount of upgraded components with an asking price of $500
    I don't know too much about either, but seem to enjoy the idea of the 29 and how it feels a little bit better. Will only really be doing simple trails and commuting. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Look also at the Airborne Guardian. 600 with free shipping now no tax. The fork makes a big difference on singletrack. The RockShox XC 28 is decent.
    Airborne Bicycles. Guardian

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Look also at the Airborne Guardian. 600 with free shipping now no tax. The fork makes a big difference on singletrack. The RockShox XC 28 is decent.
    Just a little out of my price range. Plus I wouldn't feel comfortable buying something I couldn't test first

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/ai...rs-795105.html
    check out some discussion on the Guardian.

My bike is rusty..
    Jul 2012
    Shop around at other bike shops.. might find a good deal. CL is your bestfriend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ended up going with the Rockhopper. It was a hell of a steal considering it fit into my $400 price range. I like the 29ers better but I didn't have the extra $200 to spend

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That was a good price for a new Rockhopper.

Congratulations and enjoy!
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0
    ~ 1993 Diamondback Topanga
    ~ 2012 Diamondback Overdrive Expert

mtbr member
    Good choice

banned
    Jul 2012
    Rockhoppers are neat bikes. I think it was a good choice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    good, safe bet

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yea ended up returning the Rockhopper, the 21in frame was just way too big for me

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What di you replace it with?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I bought a 2007 Felt Virtue 4 and added Elixir 3 brakes and Maxxis Mobster tires. I might try to sell that as well but might just keep upgrading that frame

Flow like water
    What sort of riding do you want to do?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    A friend and I really went head first into a lot of all-mountain, technical single track and downhill riding. Already got sponsored and already got my first concussion and broken bones doing it