1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

First Mountain Bike

Hi I'm new to the forum and looking to get into mountain biking. I don't want to put in more than $450 because I find it hard to justify spending much more to this on something I've never done before. I've been looking around some and have come across some bikes in my price range. I know my options are limited but I cannot spend more than the $450 mark which is already pushing it. The ones I have found so far are:

Diamondback Overdrive
    Gravity 29.1
    MotobecaneFantom29Sport

I'm looking for some input on one of these bikes or another for under $450. I know this restricts what I can do but I really can't go any higher.

Thanks for any help

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aemery View Post
    Hi I'm new to the forum and looking to get into mountain biking. I don't want to put in more than $450 because I find it hard to justify spending much more to this on something I've never done before. I've been looking around some and have come across some bikes in my price range. I know my options are limited but I cannot spend more than the $450 mark which is already pushing it. The ones I have found so far are:

Diamondback Overdrive
    Gravity 29.1
    MotobecaneFantom29Sport

I'm looking for some input on one of these bikes or another for under $450. I know this restricts what I can do but I really can't go any higher.

Thanks for any help
    You might do better to spend a little more but buy used. If you get a good enough deal you will be able to sell the bike for roughly what you paid for it. If you can spend in the 800-900 range used for a 4-5 year old bike that was originally 1500-2000, then chances are good you wont lose any money on a resale. You may also enjoy the sport more on a nicer bike.

Fat-tired Roadie
    $600 seems to have been a bit of a magic number for friends of mine. A friend of mine got a race-ready couple-years-old Scott Scale for that. Another friend found one from a bit lower on the town pole for less. A third paid $650 for a nice Giant FS.

I think there's a lot of value in getting to test ride. Phone around and see if any of your local shops do used, or have some closeout or consignment bikes on the floor.

Be cautious of not spending your real number at the outset. The forums are littered with people who do that, and buy a bunch of expensive upgrades or a whole new bike within their first seasons.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    $600 seems to have been a bit of a magic number for friends of mine. A friend of mine got a race-ready couple-years-old Scott Scale for that. Another friend found one from a bit lower on the town pole for less. A third paid $650 for a nice Giant FS.

I think there's a lot of value in getting to test ride. Phone around and see if any of your local shops do used, or have some closeout or consignment bikes on the floor.

Be cautious of not spending your real number at the outset. The forums are littered with people who do that, and buy a bunch of expensive upgrades or a whole new bike within their first seasons.
    You're probably right and I agree in principle but then again the guys that spend $1,500-$2, 000 on their new hobby, ride it twice, decide it's not really for them and leave the bike in the garage gathering dust probably don't post on these forums. You won't hear from those guys until they decide to sell that expensive dust collector on Craigslist two years later.

Fat-tired Roadie
    That's occurred to me. I don't think it's bad for the sport, actually. Anyway, if you're planning not to like mountain biking and want to be able to recover more of your investment, definitely get a used bike. Similar to cars, bikes take about a 40% hit on value when one wheels them out of the shop.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Gravity Point 1 on your list is the best equipped.

The Bike Direct Gravity Point 1 is 419 delivered with a bike path Suntour fork. Try out the sport a little but take it easy on the difficult/fun trails until you upgrade. Nick at Suntour will send you a trail ready Raidon air fork for about 200 shipped.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes
    It has good geo similar to Trek and Scott and Shimano Alivio/Deore drive parts are adequate and better than the others in this price range.
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork
    Changing a fork is easy.
    There is a good video on Youtube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aemery View Post

Diamondback Overdrive
    Gravity 29.1
    MotobecaneFantom29Sport

Thanks for any help
    From the list that you got there I would go with the Gravity 29.1

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Alright so I'm guessing I'll go with the Gravity if I get one off this list. I am looking for used bikes as we'll but if nothing comes up soon I'll probably give in and order the Gravity

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have the Gravity G29SS and I love it. I have put a good amount of riding time on the bike and haven't had one problem yet. It is a little heavier but I have a great time every time I go out and ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Most importantly, no matter what the bike costs, make sure the bike fits your size body. I have seen far too many riders come to beginner clinics with great fitness and natural abilities, but on all the wrong bike. Size matters

Amy Regan
    AZ Mountain Biking
    my-mountain-biking.com

mtbr member
    I have the Gravity 27Five SS it's a rigid single speed bike and absolutely love it. If single speed isn't what you want Bikesdirect has more 650b bikes and has said that by this fall will have a dozen, and 20 by spring. This bike is well worth the money and definitely trail worthy too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Mountain Bike-img_20130831_170245.jpg