1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

First Mountain Bike

Whatsup everyone. Name is James and I just purchased a Giant Revel 1 on Wednesday. Took it out yesterday on some trails and all I can say is wow. It was a blast. I keep on telling myself why didn't purchase a bike way sooner. I mostly got it to ride to work and a trail here or there, but it looks like I will be doing a lot more trail riding. Looking forward to all the great info peeps put on here. I'm stationed at Ft. Bragg BTW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Mountain Bike-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    nice ride , and welcome to the sickness
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That's a great looking bike, congrats.
    Earnest Hemingway once said "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.

mtbr member
    A lot better than my first bike, thats for sure. Have fun and wear helmet! The Nealy book is a great fun and informative read on some old-school techniques if you can find it, he died and not sure its still published.