1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

First longer ride

I finally got the bike out yesterday with my brother to ride a local trail. We picked one that has the potential to go completely across Omaha to Bellevue, which is quite a way by bike. After we got finished, by looking at the map we had, we went about 10 to 13 miles. We first went half of that and turned around and came back. I didn't realize we had a tailwind on the first half, but definitely noticed the headwind coming back. That made it really tough going. I must say that I was pretty worn out from the ride, and think I will keep it a bit shorter until I'm used to riding. It went pretty well, but I needed to bring something to eat around halfway through since I started shutting down a bit on the way back. Also, my butt started to tingle a bit and my hands were pretty tired also. I'm definitely going to need to invest in some gloves and some sunglasses to wear.

I'll probably be getting some better road tires too, I just don't think the MTB ones are going to cut it for paved trail riding.
    Dustin
    06 Giant Rincon

S*it Happens!
    Congrats on your first longer ride...But where are the photos? I need proof that you did what you said you did.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good job! You've learned three valuable lessons already. Get some smooth tires for the mtb on pavement, always try to start the ride into the wind, and bring some power food.

Whenever I hit the road I always look down to my neighbors house to see which way his flag is flying, then I can determine my route. Keep in mind that when you ride into the wind for 20 minutes, for example, you will only take 10 minutes, or so, to come back. So if your goal is to ride for an hour, you should ride into the wind for 40 minutes and then turn with the wind on the return trip.

Keep riding and have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the info on the wind! I'd never realized it would factor in as much as it did. The tires definately didn't help matters any either since they don't coast very well at all. The guys on road bikes were flying by us like we were standing still.... I'm looking at som Cheng Shin tires that appear decent, and posted a thread about them in the tires section. I'll probably run by the store tonight and look at the bags you put under the seat to throw some bars in there for fuel as well.

Oh yeah, no photos either on this one, didn't even bring the camera. Not sure how many people would be thrilled to see pics of our papio creek. Never the less, I'll bring it along next time, memories are memories
    Dustin
    06 Giant Rincon

College Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by dbakek
    Thanks for the info on the wind! I'd never realized it would factor in as much as it did. The tires definately didn't help matters any either since they don't coast very well at all. The guys on road bikes were flying by us like we were standing still.... I'm looking at som Cheng Shin tires that appear decent, and posted a thread about them in the tires section. I'll probably run by the store tonight and look at the bags you put under the seat to throw some bars in there for fuel as well.

Oh yeah, no photos either on this one, didn't even bring the camera. Not sure how many people would be thrilled to see pics of our papio creek. Never the less, I'll bring it along next time, memories are memories
    even with smooth tires the roadies will pass by you like you are standing still. Their bikes are gears for speed and their wheels are bigger than yours so it is a lot easier for them to go fast (plus everything on road bikes is light)