1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

First FS: Trek Fuel 70 or Jamis Dakar

I ride mostly moderate XC about 3 times a week on a hardtail that I've ridden since the mid 90's. I'm ready to try FS and I have an opportunity to choose from an '05 Trek Fuel 70 or an '05 Jamis Dakar for about the same price. I searched the reviews and could not draw any major conclusion. I've tried both and both seem fine, though I have no experience with FS bikes so that didnt really help. The biggest difference I see is the Fuel uses a Rock Shox BAR rear suspension while the Jamis has a Fox Vanilla coil over. Which bike do you think would serve me best for the long haul being the most versatile? What differences can I expect from the different rear shocks? I would like to hear opinions especially from those who have tried either or both bikes. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Based just on the shock the Fox would be the way to go - however as you primarily do XC and coming from a hardtail I think you would like the suspension design/feel of the Trek better. The Trek is a bit more XC oriented (my opinion).

Both shocks are "old" technology by todays standards, and the rock shox was never particularly well received.