1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

First dirt ride completed.

Been lurking a while. First post.

Got up early and took my first ride this morning. It was not only my first time in the dirt but also first time riding the SS outside my neighborhood. I'm a relatively seasoned road bike rider so I thought this would be an easy transition. Boy was I wrong! Bike control was a lot more difficult on single track than I expected. Also grade seem flat for the first 3 miles visually but after I turned around I realized my error as I was huffing it all the way back. I really need to take some time and watch some skills videos.

Overall great time. I can't wait to get more pedal time! Hopefully with experience comes confidence in bike control. Currently have a small amount if anxiety about crashing and hitting my noggin on a boulder. I'm not sure how anyone rides with clip less pedals in the dirt either!

Have a great weekend everyone! Ride safe.

Ryan

Hi There!
    Keep at it, ride within your limits-which will expand if you keep at it, stay hydrated and don't get frustrated. It is a blast.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    There are skills classes in many locations. Seek one out.

Ditto re riding within your limits. As you do, you will discover that a decent bike can handle a lot more than you might think. This will give you confidence and enable you to extend your limits.

Never confuse confidence with bravado.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    Never confuse confidence with bravado.
    Truer words have not been written.

Congrats on the move from street to dirt.
    Take your time, ride within (to the edge of) your limits (occasionally), and try to impress no one but yourself.