1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

First DH Bike advice please

Hello,
    I'm a beginner to DH and I was hoping that you guys can give me some advice on this bike I'm interested in.
    Specialized Big Hit, Custom Build 2006, Fox DHX, ATOMLAB PIMP, MARZOCCHI 66, M | eBay

As you can see my budget is really low atm around 500 and I want to buy a good used bike that will get me started and also some good quality gear. I also don't mind learning on a good HT bike. I'm mostly interested in trails like Aston Hills to get me started. www.rideastonhill.co.uk

I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That bike is a solid buy at that price. Looks to be in good shape, lots of upgrades.
    Those trails look pretty damn fun too. Rip it up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    That bike is a solid buy at that price. Looks to be in good shape, lots of upgrades.
    Those trails look pretty damn fun too. Rip it up!
    Thanks for your input yeah I looked at a countless number of bikes and this one stood out to me the most. Luckily the seller is located not too far from me so before I bid I will try to arrange a viewing and check for any cracks or dents in the frame. Yes, I can't wait to speed down those trails!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It seems to be built up pretty sweet. Big Hits can be good burly and affordable rigs. I know a number of people that owned them and rode the hell out of them and they seemed to hold up well.

An advantage to a bike like that one over a full-on DH bike (in addition to cost) is that it won't pedal all that badly, being an FSR design w/ a single crown fork that has tons of adjustability. Since it looks like you don't have a lift at your trails, you're going to be doing some pedaling. I imagine there's other stuff to ride in the area too, it's nice to have a bike that's going to handle regular trail riding reasonably well. (Noticed that bike has a dropper seatpost - bonus.)

If you buy it, ask the seller what sort of rider weight everything is set up for so you know whether/how much you'll be needing to mess with with the suspension to get it set up right for you. Wouldn't hurt to see if he'd walk you through which knobs do what too, if you're not familiar with bike suspension.

One thing you'll need to do somewhat regularly on it will be change the "DU bushings" in the rear shock. It goes with the territory on these bikes. You can tell if they're worn by grabbing the bike by the seat and giving it a little jiggle, maybe bouncing the rear wheel against the ground from just an inch or so up a few times; see if you get any sort of rattle from either end of the rear shock where the bolts that hold it into the frame are. Typically it'll be in the rear more often than the front. These are typical wear parts for these bikes and it's no big deal to change them out, and keeping up with them makes the difference between a tight bike and a rattly bike. If you're riding a lot, you'll probably need to do it every season or so.

Guy in the first vid has the right tool, guy in the second one does a homemade jobby.

Simple shock bushing replacement - YouTube

How to replace metal eyelet bushings - Fox Float RP2 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thank you so much for the useful info slapheadmofo, being new to this forum I thought that my post will be be ignored the help is much appreciated.

I'm hoping to view this bike today or tomorrow (still awaiting sellers reply) but when I see it I will check everything you mentioned. It also seems that I'll also have to purchase tons of tools

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    An advantage to a bike like that one over a full-on DH bike (in addition to cost) is that it won't pedal all that badly, being an FSR design w/ a single crown fork that has tons of adjustability. Since it looks like you don't have a lift at your trails, you're going to be doing some pedaling. I imagine there's other stuff to ride in the area too, it's nice to have a bike that's going to handle regular trail riding reasonably well. (Noticed that bike has a dropper seatpost - bonus.)
    That's a huge plus for me, but I also don't mind pushing it uphill
    Argh sorry for double post, so annoying to edit on my phone

mtbr member
    Good solid all round bike, go for it.

A double crown will make the front stiffer but that's something that can be done in the future if you feel you need it.

Just like slapheadmofo said, inquire about the shock and fork spring weights and the current setup, you may have to swap springs and/or adjust sag, rebound, etc.

mtbr member
    good starting platform
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'll just echo what's already been said. Looks like a solid bike for a very fair price, go for it!

Can't go wrong with a Big Hit, great freeride/dh bike but it stills pedals decently...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Sweet, Thanks guys! I placed a bid on the bike now I'm really excited, can't wait til I hit the trials next week