1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: First Crash!

mtbr member

First Crash!

Well, I decided to go for a ride yesterday with some friends. I just got a new bike and this was my first attempt to ride it, and first try at downhill action. Long story short I went down three times and got a bit cut up, but it was still the most fun I have had in a while!

...the wave won't brek
    Ah the new riders falling for the first time is a sure sign of spring!

Now Get right back up and do it again!
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

my fun has a hurting
    put your seat down a little and hang off the back of the bike on those downhill sections. you will be amazed at how much less you fall.

mtbr member
    I'm riding again this weekend sat and sun. This time it will be more of a XC ride. I think the main issue was not knowing the bike well enough to attack the downhill.
    Last edited by strohs; 05-02-2007 at 03:25 PM.

Staying out of the way
    Quote Originally Posted by cdburch
    put your seat down a little and hang off the back of the bike on those downhill sections. you will be amazed at how much less you fall.
    It's not his technique, he's just plain clumsy. They did manage to get a picture of him on the way to the trailhead

(Don't hate me Strohs)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ah yes...the joys of a full header!
    NOT!
    I am at a point in my life where crashing won't do me any good.
    I'm a flooring contractor and even a mild knee scrape is a real pain!!
    As you may guess by my huge post count I have only recently got back
    on the bike. Did a lot of racing back in the day and was never much of
    a crasher. I'm just hoping to keep that up.
    BTW How DO you start a new thread around here???

Rick

Staying out of the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Broke That
    Ah yes...the joys of a full header!
    NOT!
    I am at a point in my life where crashing won't do me any good.
    I'm a flooring contractor and even a mild knee scrape is a real pain!!
    As you may guess by my huge post count I have only recently got back
    on the bike. Did a lot of racing back in the day and was never much of
    a crasher. I'm just hoping to keep that up.
    BTW How DO you start a new thread around here???

Rick

Welcome back!

At the top of the forum (not just a post) look for this button:

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Erich in Az
    Welcome back!

At the top of the forum (not just a post) look for this button:

I swear it wasn't there!
    HONEST!
    Okay....so maybe I am getting old......

Rick

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My first off road crash was down a steep, rooty hill covered with pine needles with an iron bike with no suspension, chrom plated iron rims and caliper brakes.

My next off road ride was about two years later.

mtbr member
    Nothing like a good crash. Remember to tuck and roll is possible.
    Looking to buy Vintage Brodies, Rocky Mountain's and steel Dekerf or Cove hardtails.

mtbr member
    I'm no stranger to falling on a bike (can thank my bmx time for that). So I didnt fall to hard just some minor scraps and I will be getting gloves before the next ride!
    Last edited by strohs; 05-02-2007 at 09:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Falling is part of the total experience. As you become more experienced the crashes will be less frequent. The downside to that is as you become more advanced and ride more difficult trails your crashes become a little more serious. It's no fun taking a header in a rock garden...ouch. My most serious injury to this point is a torn rotator cuff. More of a an irritation than anything, so no big deal.
    As the old saying goes, just keep getting back in the saddle!!
    愛友誼秀麗力量激情

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Welcome to the family. Crashes are part of the game. My suggestions to you- ride within abilities, ride within your bikes abilities, WEAR A HELMET, scan the terrain, learn proper technique (watching riders and videos will help) and consider the purchase of soft elbow/knee pads.

Looking forward to reading your future posts...... first broken chain, first broken spoke, first broken chain, first thorn in tire, FIRST UPGRADE, first 20 person group ride, first trip to Whistler. Ahhh, the memories.

Best wishes! Looking forward to your future posts.

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erich in Az
    It's not his technique, he's just plain clumsy. They did manage to get a picture of him on the way to the trailhead

(Don't hate me Strohs)

Hahaha! I can take this lightly because I know the rider didn’t get hurt. Good for you for getting back up.

Fred.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheRubberSideDown
    Nothing like a good crash. Remember to tuck and roll is possible.
    Or carry an umbrella to act as a drag chute if you go over the bars!

Staying out of the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Rider

Hahaha! I can take this lightly because I know the rider didn’t get hurt. Good for you for getting back up.

Fred.
    Yeah, he's fine. He's also a friend of mine.

As a matter of fact, I believe he has begun stalking me. He even bought the exact same bike I have.

We are going to be riding on some nice flat singletrack this weekend, so hopefully he will stay upright. On the plus side, he's not discouraged by the first trip out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strohs
    Well, I decided to go for a ride yesterday with some friends. I just got a new bike and this was my first attempt to ride it, and first try at downhill action. Long story short I went down three times and got a bit cut up, but it was still the most fun I have had in a while!
    He, it was entertaining to watch...

<-- Guy that led the disaster with the other shiny new bike.

mtbr member
    I've been riding regularly for almost a year now, and there are many, many scars on my shins that I can't even remember how they got there. Keep riding and remember to try to learn something new each week. This forum will help you much in your mtb education. I also like MBAction magazien in which I have a subscription. Also, ask your LBS guys for some tips, most of those guys are friendly and helpful...most.
    Last edited by onegymrat; 05-07-2007 at 07:15 AM.

Staying out of the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    He, it was entertaining to watch...

<-- Guy that led the disaster with the other shiny new bike.
    You would have been proud of him at FI on Sunday, he only went down once, and that was him being dumb on the fence line road. He dropped in a dip and came off the other side with the front wheel a bit high. He bailed the bike, but still ended up on his can. We had fun though and nobody got seriously injured.

We did have one rider do a spectacular OTB crash and land on her cheek, but she brushed it off and kept going. Another guy was having some trouble with his clipless pedals, and after the 6th crash (I think it was 6, we stopped counting) he decided to gaina bit more saddle time before clipping in again.

We ended up doing most of the Lone Cactus Trail and ended up finishing the ride on the fence line road. We weren't fast, but we had fun. Hopefully you folks can join us up here sometime.

BTW, my 18" Flow FS weighed in at 32.8lbs

mtbr member
    My wife and I rode FI earlier in the morning (well, late for us as we set off at 1000) and blew through Bunny and SD with no falls to report.

BTW, my 18" Flow FS weighed in at 32.8lbs
    That's fantastic, but I didn't get to pick up an 18" Flow FS, but that of your disciple with is a 19.5" or something like that. Get him to weigh it, assuming he can hobble over to a scale...

Staying out of the way
    It was a nice day for it! Saturday was pretty windy and ended up with me leaving my breakfast for the mesquite tree gods. I learned an important lesson about what NOT to eat before riding.

His is a 19" so it shouldn't be too much more than my 18". I'm sure he can hobble it over to scale as soon as he borrows one from someone. His apartment is only big enough for a bike, a bed and toaster from what he says, so I'm sure he doesn't own one.

mtbr member
    Saturday was interesting for the BC loop we do from my house. We got hit with one gust that Tom and I stalled going forward. That was fun. I was also having an off day from all the riding I did during the week. As for breakfast my lesson was that I needed to eat more. I now have a couple of sausage biscuit things (little microwave ones) and a couple of waffles. I did the same thing this morning before riding in to work (7.5 miles each way) and it worked fine.

I get a little bit of a break riding this week as my new bike will be getting the rear air spring serviced for some sort of leak (no matter what you pump it to, it will drop to 225 during a ride and eventually 220 overnight). I'll ask them to look at the warped front rotor and a headset squeak. With any luck, I'll have it for a ride on Wednesday or Thursday with Tom. After that, I have to plan a ride for Saturday (maybe all the loops at FI or something).

Staying out of the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    Saturday was interesting for the BC loop we do from my house. We got hit with one gust that Tom and I stalled going forward. That was fun. I was also having an off day from all the riding I did during the week. As for breakfast my lesson was that I needed to eat more. I now have a couple of sausage biscuit things (little microwave ones) and a couple of waffles. I did the same thing this morning before riding in to work (7.5 miles each way) and it worked fine.

I get a little bit of a break riding this week as my new bike will be getting the rear air spring serviced for some sort of leak (no matter what you pump it to, it will drop to 225 during a ride and eventually 220 overnight). I'll ask them to look at the warped front rotor and a headset squeak. With any luck, I'll have it for a ride on Wednesday or Thursday with Tom. After that, I have to plan a ride for Saturday (maybe all the loops at FI or something).
    Strohs wants to hit FI Saturday some time. I don't think we are up for your pace (ok at least I'm not), but we can start out together and see how it goes. Chuck W. said he would be down as would another friend of mine (also a Chuck) that rides out there about 4 times a week.