1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

First Commuter bike

Hey,

I'm looking into buying my first commuter bike and I've got a couple of used ones on craigslist that I'm looking into buying but I'm not really knowledgeable enough to know which bike is better. There is a schwinn 434 aluminum for $125 and 1990 fuji saratoga for $100. I'm going to provide the the links so you can take a look for yourself. I really appreciate the help.

1990 Fuji Saratoga road bike
    Mens aluminum Schwinn road bike

Thanks a bunch

betelgeuse

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Should this possibly be moved to the commuter section? I didn't see it when I first posted.

Sorry

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    both those bikes are overpriced and really really old. If they were restored, maybe this would be a different story.

buying a $100 used bike is often false economy. they tend to require a bunch of work and sometimes parts replacement that run hundreds of $.

How often are you planning to ride? Think about getting a nicer rig. There is a HUGE difference between a $150 bike and a $450 bike used bike. Every $100 you spend more on the used bike buys you a bike that cost $200-300 new. Commuting can be very cost effective, save $$ on gas and increase your health.

you may want to post here or in the commuting subforum you mentioned.
    Commuting

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I tried to delete the post and repost it in the commuting subforum however I don't seem to be able to figure out how to delete it.