Thread: First Build

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

First Build

My current bike is a 2005 Trek 7300fx and it does everything i need on the neighborhood streets and bike paths, but I really want to build myself a nice hardtail. Also, sitting in my garage and ridden less than perhaps 100 miles (total) on pavement only is a 2002 Trek 7700. I bought this for my wife from a neighbor about 8 years ago and it is like brand new. It just doesn't fit her well. What I am thinking now is that I could potentially use the higher-end parts on the 7700 for a new build. For example it has 9-speed XT combo shifters/brakes, Deore crankset, XT front and rear derailers. I would need to first figure out a good frame, shock and wheelset and fill-in the rest. My real question is if this makes sense to begin a build around 11 year old technology or should I just buy the modern equal to those parts? Also, can anyone suggest a good frame to begin with?

mtbr member
    Honestly, and this is just me, I would not use parts that old. Maybe part the bike out or sell the whole thing to get money for a ground up build. Also, choose your frame first then build off of that. As far as frames go, I can't really help you there. I am about to build an On-One Inbred though. I am pretty excited as the fork is coming in today and the frame will be here Monday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sterkoff View Post
    My current bike is a 2005 Trek 7300fx and it does everything i need on the neighborhood streets and bike paths, but I really want to build myself a nice hardtail. Also, sitting in my garage and ridden less than perhaps 100 miles (total) on pavement only is a 2002 Trek 7700. I bought this for my wife from a neighbor about 8 years ago and it is like brand new. It just doesn't fit her well. What I am thinking now is that I could potentially use the higher-end parts on the 7700 for a new build. For example it has 9-speed XT combo shifters/brakes, Deore crankset, XT front and rear derailers. I would need to first figure out a good frame, shock and wheelset and fill-in the rest. My real question is if this makes sense to begin a build around 11 year old technology or should I just buy the modern equal to those parts? Also, can anyone suggest a good frame to begin with?
    Congrats on your first build! Any pics?
    Last edited by Max24; 03-09-2015 at 11:57 PM.