1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ej63090 View Post
    The SRAM triggers are sweet for the left hand downshift and the righthand upshift, super quick.
    That's what I was thinking. So that pretty much knocked off all of the bikes I was looking at BUT the Giant. I think I am going to go with it, just waiting on the quote!

Riding and lovin it.
    When looking for a bike for my wife we looked everywhere, Giant, Trek, Spec..... When looking at Trek my wife said the 3700 disk 19" frame fit her the best over other manufactors. I agree the 3700 lacked in parts ( fork, shifter, crank, brakes). I tryed to get her on the 4300 but she kept the 3700 becuase she did not think she would like to ride singletrack and just keep to crushed stone. After finding out she love single track I upgrade the fork, crank, shifters, brakes and she loves the bike. I put all used on for about 300$ and some spare parts from my stock. get the 4300 or Giant and with being taller look at a 29r

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've got a 2011 3700 Disc and it's been a great bike. I bought it as an entry level bike and it has yet to let me down. I too read all the posts and saw everyone saying "save your money and buy XXX". Get what feels good to you and is in your budget. I ride my bike 2-3 times a week on the same trails as guys/girls on $3k bikes and do just fine. I've ate it quite a few times and the bike has yet to fail me. Biggest thing is getting out there and riding. Once you get better on the bike and decide it's something you'll stick with you can upgrade to something nicer. I just ordered a Fuel EX8

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What do you guys think about size? I'm 6'1".. do you think a Large is the right size? Not a medium right?

Knowledge over Swag
    Aug 2011
    I have a large on my revel and I am 6'2".

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ej63090 View Post
    I have a large on my revel and I am 6'2".
    Ok cool.. I am tech. 6'1.5" but whatever.. that works for me. I guess I will go with the large.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It sounds like you are ignoring the fit people and starting to just look at components. If you are going to do this you are much better buying online.

In your price range there are two online bikes you should take a peak at.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Windsor Cliff 4900 Mountain Bikes
    Mountain Bikes - MTB - Dawes Haymaker 1500

That being said the fit people have a very good point. Some bikes feel great and others do not. I test road all of the bikes in the sub 500 price ranges at the local bike shops. In the end nothing felt right and I went online and bought a Forge Sawback 5xx. (The price raised so it is no longer a good option.) You better believe though that if I had found a bike I fell in love with at an LBS I would have went that route. That being said I love my Sawback minus the fork (really wish it locked out) and am really glad I bought online.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Note: I just ordered the Cliff 4900 two weeks ago and while it lists for $429, when I added it to my cart it was $399. I'm not sure if this is still the case. I love it so far!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    WARNING for the OP both the 3700 and 3900 have Single wall Rims. I know this because I emailed Trek and got a response. Thats what stopped me from buying the the 2011 3900 it uses the same Bontrager 550 rim/wheel

DO NOT BUY

Spend an extra $100 and get a TREK Gary Fisher Wahoo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
    WARNING for the OP both the 3700 and 3900 have Single wall Rims. I know this because I emailed Trek and got a response. Thats what stopped me from buying the the 2011 3900 it uses the same Bontrager 550 rim/wheel

DO NOT BUY

Spend an extra $100 and get a TREK Gary Fisher Wahoo
    I don't know if you actually read the thread, but he's well past the 3700/3900 by now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    I don't know if you actually read the thread, but he's well past the 3700/3900 by now.
    haha.. yes thanks to all of you guys. I am way past the Trek. This whole BikesDirect.com is intriguing, but I am almost positive I am going to stick with my local LBS so I can work directly with them and get the Revel 1. I will keep you posted when I finally pull this long awaited trigger!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hello Gents,
    I really like the advice and support that the members here had for Joey Jiggles, so I decided to revitalize this thread. I have been riding on and off for a couple years and am shopping around for a new mtb that can take me to the next level. I am looking for:

-A MTB that can actually stand up to obstacles. I have taken my current bike (90ís Trek 820 Antelope) over roots, rocks, logs, and itís been a tank. I am not sure if newer bikes are more fragile than their predecessors, but it seems like there is a lot of talk about bikes that simply donít hold up.

-A MTB that can move. My 820 has 3x7, however I feel that 3x8 will be more beneficial to me if I want more flexibility/speed on my rides. Iíve also read that if I decide to race cyclocross/mtb events (have my first beginner race this weekend) that a 29er is a must. Thoughts?

Given that deluge of detail above, I do have a bunch of questions for you guys on bike brands since I am still am a noob:
    Trek: I am set on looking at the 4300 Series. I noticed my LBS has í10, í11, í13 models in stock, with the í11 being the cheapest. Is there anything in particular I should worry about for the prior year models? If 2010 and 2011 models still havenít been sold through, it raises a red flag imo.
    Jamis: My LBS has the Durango and Trail X Series. Which model do you think is better suited for what Iím looking for?
    Giant: Same question as Jamis, Revel 0 or would a Revel 1 suffice?

Unfortunately, of the 4-5 LBS I checked, none seem to carry Specialized or GT, which seem to be praised here. I plan to test ride each of the bikes above to see which fits the best as fit is my number 1 priority, but I figured some advice canít hurt. Any tips or advice on these bikes or racing would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the long read.

Thanks much.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Jiggles View Post
    Ok Zebrahum.. let me put you on the spot here if you don't mind. IF you were to choose one of these 4.. what would YOU pick??

Trek 3700 disc: 3700 Disc - Trek Bicycle

Specialized Hardrock: Specialized Bicycle Components : Hardrock Disc

Giant Revel 1: Revel 1 (Silver/ Blue) (2011) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

OR

My original starter.. Trek 3500 disc: 3500 Disc - Trek Bicycle

Anyone else feel free to chime in!
    [EDIT doh - I'm a little late on this]

Have you considered a used bike from an LBS? You get pretty good value for your money going with a used bike. Most LBS's allow you to try out the bikes, including used ones, so you can get a feel of the fit. Do take them up on this and test ride for a little bit (15-30 mins if you feel you like a certain bike). Most fit problems come up after a little while (e.g. tired back, tired arms etc).

Some LBS's provide free servicing on their used bikes or sell them fully serviced and ready to ride.

Anyway, look around for a little bit. There's a ton to choose from - just avoid department store bikes.

-S

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i bought the 3500 disc, put on rockshox recons and ride some rediculous trails you should be just fine, just watch the front suspension.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3