1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

First Bike Recommendation Needed... Budget Bikes!

Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie in bikes... I'm planning to ride a bike for short-distanced travelling, e.g. travelling to school and supermarkets. I will mostly ride on pavements and sidewalks. And most importantly, my budget is really tight. I have around 300 dollars to spend on it, but it is best if the cost can be kept under 200. I hope to have a decent bike

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    With such a tight budget I would be looking for something second hand. check out what is on CL for you area, you may be able to pick up an awesome deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by subsist View Post
    With such a tight budget I would be looking for something second hand. check out what is on CL for you area, you may be able to pick up an awesome deal.
    Thx for replying. However, I'm not familiar with the different types of bikes and brands. Do you have any recommendations for me? Thank you

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    There are so many different types of bikes and brands that I don't know where to start.
    In your price range and the type of riding you are doing you should be looking at a hardtail [as opposed to a full suspension] with maybe even a rigid front fork.

You could look at something like the Specialized Hardrock, which should be a suitable bike for you, but I'm sure others will have more ideas than me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by subsist View Post
    There are so many different types of bikes and brands that I don't know where to start.
    In your price range and the type of riding you are doing you should be looking at a hardtail [as opposed to a full suspension] with maybe even a rigid front fork.

You could look at something like the Specialized Hardrock, which should be a suitable bike for you, but I'm sure others will have more ideas than me.
    Thx Is hardtail a type of mountain bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darthian View Post
    Thx Is hardtail a type of mountain bikes?
    Thanks Google. Form Wiki
    Mountain bikes can be classified into four categories based on suspension:

Rigid: A frame with a rigid fork and fixed rear, no suspension.
    Hardtail: A frame with a front suspension fork and no rear suspension.
    Soft tail: A frame with small amount of rear suspension, activated by flex of the frame instead of pivots.
    Dual or full suspension: A front suspension fork and rear suspension with a rear shock and linkage that allow the rear wheel to move on pivots.
    $200 to $300
    something like a Redline Monocog off ebay or CL
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    if you are patient you find 3 year old $500-600 bikes for maybe $250. This is no problem. You should being buying a hybrid, road, or cyclocross though imo. much better on pavement than a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    Thanks Google. Form Wiki

$200 to $300
    something like a Redline Monocog off ebay or CL
    I only see one selling for $500...
    thx anyway

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    if you are patient you find 3 year old $500-600 bikes for maybe $250. This is no problem. You should being buying a hybrid, road, or cyclocross though imo. much better on pavement than a mountain bike.
    I'm quite interested in hybrids, cuz it seems cheaper than the road bikes. Is there any recommendations for hybrids?

Thank you for replying

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darthian View Post
    I only see one selling for $500...
    thx anyway
    Keep looking.
    A 2 to 3 year old second hand bike is probably your best bet like bob13bob suggested.
    Buying secondhand takes time and patience.
    I would take a mountain bike with slicks over a hybrid any day.
    I ride a Monocog with with road tires as my short distance (less than 10 miles) run around town bike.

also look for Kona Unit, Haro Mary or a Se Stout. You can eventually add a geared hub if you want gears later on.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    Keep looking.
    A 2 to 3 year old second hand bike is probably your best bet like bob13bob suggested.
    Buying secondhand takes time and patience.
    I would take a mountain bike with slicks over a hybrid any day.
    I ride a Monocog with with road tires as my short distance (less than 10 miles) run around town bike.

also look for Kona Unit, Haro Mary or a Se Stout. You can eventually add a geared hub if you want gears later on.
    Thx bro

Which version of Monocog do you have? Which one would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Make sure you are buying a bike that is the correct size for you.. go into your local bike shop and have them size u up, that way u at least know what to look for and you'll have the right sized set up to learn on
    Rockhopper 29er

-FSA Carbon handlebars, stem, & seatpost
    -2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips