1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

first bike purchase advise

Looking for some advice on purchasing an new bicycle. I haven't riden a bicycle in years and I have some good friends who are avid riders. I rode my friends trek, not sure what model, but was amazed. Never riden a full suspension before. So I went to the local bike shop and the guy was pushing a specialized stumpjumper fsr. Is it worth going ahead and getting the stumpjumper or would a newbie like myself be better off saving around 1k and get the camber 29. Any advise or comments would be appreciated.
    Last edited by jsmoto01; 04-20-2013 at 04:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd find out the model your friend has and test ride that. Or at least try a Rumblefish.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What sort of riding are you planning to do? And how is the terrain where you plan to ride? It depends on the type of riding you plan to do. If you are just starting out, you will be best served by an xc bike. An HT will also most likely have better specs for a cheaper price. Depends on what you are looking to spend and what you plan to do really. Try out different bikes and see which ones you like.
    I'm hard yet soft, I am coloured yet clear, I am fruity and sweet. I am jelly. What am I?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm planning on trail riding. I live on an island in alaska with some pretty rought trails. I guess you would say technical riding. Haven't ridden the trails just hiked them.