1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

First bike All mountain bike recomendations and opinions

I want to get into mountain biking and have some questions about bikes. I have a lot of rocky trails by my house. I want a bike that can take a beating! Jumps, rocks, speed, a good climber, handles great and technical! I am not sure of the type of bike I really should get but I have been looking at
    2010ish fuels ex 8's
    and recently someone over heard me talking about mountain bikes and mentioned selling a
    2011 gt distortion
    I have been told these are not all mountain bikes.

Any opinions and recommendations between those two bikes? or any other bike recommendations? I really don't want to spend any more than 1400 on a bike. I want something with a nice suspension that can take a beating, peddle and climb well, jump handle 8 foot drops and technical stuff. What bikes would you recommend? I am also 5'9 and a half and weigh 160 what size frames should I be looking at?
    Last edited by iconmoto; 04-01-2013 at 07:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The EX8 is a great bike but it is definitely on the tamer side of trailbikes. When you say jump what do you mean? Like 2 footers? 4? 8? 2 would be no problem for that bike 4 and larger and you will want something more burly. Just remember if you get something like a remedy, slash, SC Nomad you gotta pedal it up the hill too. Your size is a Medium. Every bike from every brand. You can fine tune the fit with a stem and seat position but 5'9" and 160 is the prototypical mountain biker so you have that going for you. My friend has an EX8 so I have ridden it a lot its a 2009 I think. No input on the GT sorry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Oh wait you are 5'9" AND A HALF! That changes everything.

J/K!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Defiantly more than 2 footers, "Bob Hope could jump that in a golf cart" I am not trying to hit 40 footers but I would like something that could take 8 foot jumps and drops on some down hill. I have a lot of quad trails and aqueducts by my house where I plan on building some trails so those wont be to crazy but I would like to be able to take my bike to mountain creek occasionally in nj and it be able to handle some down hill like this MCBP Jump line Upper Dominion Downhill FreeRide - YouTube. And LMAO I didn't want to squeeze in a half inch on anyone and give my self 5'10! But I didn't want to short change my self at 5'9haha! jk I just figure the more specific the better. Thanks for the response I am new to mountain biking so what do you think?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    8 Footers lean toward a true all mountain bike. Look at a santa cruz nomad. They are super tough and still have some pedalability. You will take a huge hit on the uphills compared to the trek though. Santa Cruz is a boutique company and the prices reflect that. You could get a 4 or 5 year old one for less. The best 2000 dollar bike is a 4 year old 5000 dollar bike. Not really my type of riding so less knowledge on these types of bikes. My friend has a EX8 and a Nomad so when I am in CA we trade those 2. I ride a Blur LT and that is my go to trailbike. 4 footers are no problem but any bigger I would start to worry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Got you thanks for the response. I will do more research on all mountain bikes. Anyone else have any all mountain bikes they would recommend? Again really don't want to spend any more than 1400

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: First bike opinions and recomendations.. trek ex8, gt distortion..

Have you checked ebay completed listings yet for bikes? U need to. $1400 is.well over.what ull need for a good bike.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    In all honesty the EX8 will serve you well for quite a while. You can always get one ride it for a year and then get a burlier bike if you want one. If you decide its enough for you you can always save up for a second steed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    if you really want to hit big drops, 8' is huge btw. You need to poke around the all mountain forums for recommendations. Change your thread title or post a new thread looking for all mountain recommendations. Trek fuel EX 8 is not all mountain enough. Once you have a direction, you can start pricing them through my ebay as my post above mentions.

I wouldn't rush in to a purchase, especially from someone who overhears you needing a bike. Take it slow, research; you'll end up happier with a better bike for less.

when you see pros doing amazing stunts, they are using Money-is-no-object bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    8 ft is HUGE! Just using it as an example. Just remember a four foot drop is like 9 to 10 feet down from eye level. It's a good long way and the EX will handle that. Also an all mountain bike is probably not going to be had for 1400. Like I said earlier I have a good amount of saddle time on an EX8 and it is a great bike. You might want to look at a stumpjumper or specialized enduro. Might be a good fit for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the responses. I have not checked ebay completed listings yet I will do that. I went ahead and changed the thread title to all mountain bike recommendations. I defiantly will take my time to find the right bike for me at the right price! I honestly probably wont be doing to many 8 foot drops but if I am buying a bike I would like on that can handle that and take a beating because I am sure I am going to push it. What would you guys recommend?