1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

First Bike, Which one?

Greetings,

I'ma first time bike buyer and I'm looking at bike new/used between $300-$700. I really enjoy mountain biking every year in Copper Harbor MI. which is pretty rough trails. I only go once a year, so far. I usually rent a bike. But I've gone so much that I figure I should own one. The rest of the year I would be taking onto trails/roads in Illinois. So nothing too crazy.

I've been looking at used to save some money as I'm also saving up for a Camera.

Would these bikes serve me well? Or would it be fine to get something cheap and new like a trek 3500, or Specialized Hardrock? I don't expect you guys to look at all these bike [COLOR=#DD3C42 !important]listings[/COLOR] in detail, but if you happen to maybe push me in the right direction that would be really appreciated. thank you very much.

Specialized Stumpjumper -black
    SPECIALIZED STUMPJUMPER M2

Specilaized Stumpjumper- blue
    Specialized (Baby Blue) M2 Metal Matrix 17" Hardtail Mountain Bike

CANNONDALE F500
    CANNONDALE F500

Trek Liquid 2005
    MTB Trek Liquid

Trek Y22
    Trek Y22-bike Carbon Frame

Trek 4900
    trek 4900

Klein Pulse Comp
    Klein Pulse Comp, Shimano XT, $1900 cost new! Hand-built in USA frame,

Specialized Rockhopper
    Specialized Rockhopper Mountain Bike Local Pick Up | eBay

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    I'm fairly new to this myself and I'm also on a budget. I've done a lot of research looking through this and other forums, and after hours spent trying to get an answer, this is the bike I'm leaning towards: Airborne Guardian 2.0 29'er.

Here is the link: Airborne Bicycles. Guardian 2.0

It is a mail order/"off brand" bike. I have read many reviews of this bike from experts and newbies alike, and the general consensus is that this is the best setup you can get in the sub-$1,000 price range. As far as the specs go, it even seems to compete fiercely with quite a few of th $1,000-$2,000 bikes from the big brand names. Do some searching on that one. Everyone who has one seems to love it. And it would be a goof bike for road riding as well since it is a 29er.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by InLimbo View Post
    I'm fairly new to this myself and I'm also on a budget. I've done a lot of research looking through this and other forums, and after hours spent trying to get an answer, this is the bike I'm leaning towards: Airborne Guardian 2.0 29'er.

Here is the link: Airborne Bicycles. Guardian 2.0

It is a mail order/"off brand" bike. I have read many reviews of this bike from experts and newbies alike, and the general consensus is that this is the best setup you can get in the sub-$1,000 price range. As far as the specs go, it even seems to compete fiercely with quite a few of th $1,000-$2,000 bikes from the big brand names. Do some searching on that one. Everyone who has one seems to love it. And it would be a goof bike for road riding as well since it is a 29er.
    Unfortunately, I need the biek in 2 weeks, and they are sold out in my size till August. Thank you for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 17" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay

Sometimes the auction version of this listing ends up cheaper but not for someone on a two week schedule. No connection with this listings or Crosslake/Random Bike. The air fork on this bike makes it one of the best bets at your budget level. Trail ready. I would choose it over a Guardian and the Seeker is about equivalent. What's your height and inseam.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Wile I really appreciate the recommendations given so far, I would still need to pay a local shop to assemble the bike, which will add to the price. Does anyone have any thoughts on the bikes I've list?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the recommendations, those bikes are at the top of my budget. I wish I had a bit more time to save up. I"ll have to sell some plasma, I also have this extra kidney handing around... lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The first thing you need to find is what size frame you need ,go to some shops and test ride some bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Instead of buying one of those I would rent again. Takes the time and budget out of the picture. You do want to make a good long-term choice.

The Marin is 90% assembled. Check some Youtube vids on BikeDirect unboxings. That is the only bike on this page I would take to Copper.

Don't think a used bike won't need any work, especially those old ones.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    The first thing you need to find is what size frame you need ,go to some shops and test ride some bikes.
    I actually have. I rode a Giant Talon, and A Trek X-Caliber.

I actually just bought the Stumpjumper FS late 90s model. It is in like -new condition. he really took care of it. For $375 with 2 new sets of tires. It has Shimano XT components. He had his original reciept and the origin manual/paperwork.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Instead of buying one of those I would rent again. Takes the time and budget out of the picture. You do want to make a good long-term choice.

The Marin is 90% assembled. Check some Youtube vids on BikeDirect unboxings. That is the only bike on this page I would take to Copper.

Don't think a used bike won't need any work, especially those old ones.
    WHAT? I would have that Trance 3 or even the Yeti over that eBay bike. I don't know if you don't know what you are talking about, are doing crack, or rode yesterday without a helmet and hit your head, but some of the advice you give here is just appalling!
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1021/2500

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Why don't you grow up. The guy bought his bike already. His list was the subject. Didn't see that Yeti.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the input, I'll let you know how the bike holds up after I get back from my trip. I probably didn't emphasize that I really didn't want to spend the$ 6-700 on some of the newer lower end bikes I don't like buying low-end stuff if I don't have to. I really wanted to go as inexpensive as possible with the best quality, I assumes that a good quality older bike would be my best choice. As far as renting a bike again, Its about $40 for a half day rental, I would go 2 half days for sure, so at least $80. Then factoring the ability to ride it locally, and my wife to stop nagging me to get a bike so we can go on bike rides (sigh) I figured the best investment would be $375 on a ~1996 Specialized Stumpjumper, its has Shimano XT derailleur, LX Brakes, New Tires. Here is picture.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...99924332_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks like a nice ride. Congrats.