Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

First Bike Help: Specialized Hardrock vs Trek 3700

10K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  BigSharks 
#1 ·
I'm looking for an entry level bike on a budget. Currently, I am looking at either the Trek 3 Series (3700) or the Specialized Hardrock. Both come in around $450 -$500. I am curious as to which one would be best in the long run. A few people I have spoken to here in Austin say go with specilazed over the Trek, but really, no one has been able to tell me WHY. The difference in price between the two is only like 40 bucks.

I'm going to ride both and see which one feels best, but other than that, I don't know what to look for when comparing these bikes.

I have also been told that I could buy a lot more bike for the money in that price range if I bought used. I decided to go new because first, I don't know what to look for as far damage goes, and with a new bike, I will get support and maintenance from the shop I am buying from for the next year.

I'm not planning on extreme riding, or racing or anything like that, but I would like to be able to go where the trail goes and not have to worry about the bike failing.

So back to the question, Specialized Hardrock or Trek 3 series for an entry level bike and why would you choose it over the other

See less See more
#5 ·
06OutlanderAWD said:
I have a 2011 specialized hardrock sport disc, performs great. I do it all with it climbing, very technical rocky stuff, even some jumps. No problems at all with it!
I have nothing but good to say about my hardrock 29er. It can handle anything I throw at it. Climbing, easy rock gardens, small drops (less than 2 feet). Components are entry-level but still high quality.

It will be a long time before my bike is the thing holding back my riding.

#10 ·
jstaples said:
For what it's worth, I haven't heard from anyone who went 29er and regretted it. I think it's only like $100 more to get the hardrock in the 29er version. Pretty cheap.
I haven't heard anyone who went 26er and regretted it, plus $100 cheaper:p going with the 26er your wallet is more heavy, but your bike isn't.

now the OP is really confused.

#17 ·
You're comparing apples to apples with those bikes. The fit and the service are going to be what counts (well, the color too).

You can save by buying used, but in that class of bike, prices don't drop as much as the higher ends (according to my non-official, craigslist lurking opinion)

#19 ·
ok we did the grand tour today of like 5 bike shops and it looks like I have settled on the Cannondale F8. Comparing it to the Specialized Hardrock and the Trek 3 series, this one gives more bang for the buck. 24 speed as opposed to 21 speed, double walled rims, and most importantly, the LBS that is selling them is going to provide a year of unlimited service/tune. I rode it and it fells good as well, I liked the Specialized and the Trek, but the Cannondale seemed to feel better.

Oh and its on sale for $420.

How does Cannondale stack up against the Trek or Specialized hardtails?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.