1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

First bike got stolen, suggestion for new bike $500-800

Hi everyone, I just started with the sport. My first bike was a Walmart bike. I rode the hell out of that bike in the past two months in trail. I blended the rim, broke the chain and have to adjust the rear derailleur and breaks after every trail ride. It is pain in the ass, but I have learned a lot from the experience.

The bike got stolen two days ago. So that gives me an opportunity move on.
    My budget will be $500-800. It will mainly be used for trail, XC.
    I tried to test ride the 18” Overdrive Sport 29er yesterday. A storm came out of nowhere and start pouring after I get on the bike like 20 seconds…. 29er look too big for me. I felt like 27.5 might be a better fit. I am 5’8 160lb. But It Is just the look. I go back to try them out again.

Here are the 3 bikes I am considering.
    Let me know which is one do you think will be the best for the buck. Of course, bring up other option that you think is better.

2013 Marin BOBCAT TRAIL 29er $640
    Diamondback Bicycles 2014 Overdrive Sport 29er $450
    Diamondback Bicycles 2014 Axis Sport 27.5er $450

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If 29er seems to big, go with the gut feeling. That price for the Axis is pretty good for what you get, and I'd jump on it. Noticed that it's available from amazon for that price, but shipping delay is 2-4 months. Good buy, but if you have to wait that long, not worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Since you now know a little about bikes ,your money would goo a lot farther used.Test ride demo ,borrow as many bikes as you can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    My original plan was for a diamondback axis 27.5 I really like the looks and rode great. $450 is an amazing deal. I was about to pay $570ish I think.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    How are the parts on the axis compare to the Guardian, BOBCAT TRAIL and Overdrive?
    Could you rank them base on the parts on these bike?

I see a lot of people recommend the Guardian, BOBCAT TRAIL.
    Are they a level up from the diamondback ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Here's a fellow noob's perspective. Both Diamondbacks have Suntour coil forks that are heavy and lack damping. Everyone on here hates em. The Marin has an air fork. The Airborne Guardian has a rockshox coil fork that people like better although spec-wise isn't much different than the Suntour. The next thing people seem to jump on is hydraulic brakes. The Axis and Marin have hydro brakes, the overdrive cable/mechanical. People on here also tend to prefer Truvativ/SRAM cranks (anything but Suntour, lol). Noone seems to give much of a rip about derailleurs on a noob bike.

The big jump in price in noob hardtails corresponds roughly with the cost of a fork: it's about $200 between those with "good" forks, and those with crappy Suntours.