1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

First bike, cannondale trl 6 vs Specialized hardrock

Hey guys n gals,

Coming to you from Houston, TX. I have been on some cheap-o mountain bikes years ago, but now I am wanting to get more serious into it and have been shopping around. Trail riding will be minimal to moderate out here with also some street riding.

I have come down to the Cannondale Trail 6 or the Specialized Hardrock Disc. I wont go into too much specs about either (unless I need to) because I am sure most of the members here know what I'm talking about, just curious if there is any opinions by others by experience or what not. I have sat on both and felt comfortable on both of them as well. Hope ya'll can help out, thanks.

Price is also taken into consideration but its not much difference between the two
    Trail 6: $500
    Hardrock: $520

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/moun...-trail-6-16858

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Bump for any info at all? 37 views but no responses?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Lets put it this way I am in the same boat as you. Considering roughly the same bikes. Test riden many. I have an email into Cannondale regarding the tRail 6 aesthetics matter to me I aske dthem if teh spokes on teh trail 6 are stainless steel color silver or Black their website "says" black but the image shows silver.

I am also considering hybrid bikes since I don't do any trails like the Scott Sub 45.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo 25
    Hey guys n gals,

Coming to you from Houston, TX. I have been on some cheap-o mountain bikes years ago, but now I am wanting to get more serious into it and have been shopping around. Trail riding will be minimal to moderate out here with also some street riding.

I have come down to the Cannondale Trail 6 or the Specialized Hardrock Disc. I wont go into too much specs about either (unless I need to) because I am sure most of the members here know what I'm talking about, just curious if there is any opinions by others by experience or what not. I have sat on both and felt comfortable on both of them as well. Hope ya'll can help out, thanks.

Price is also taken into consideration but its not much difference between the two
    Trail 6: $500
    Hardrock: $520

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/moun...-trail-6-16858
    I haven't looked at the specs but being in the same price range they probably have similar components. I would suggest riding both (and if you can, on the trail) and see what feels best to you. I don't think you'd go wrong choosing either one. I've owned both Specialized and Cannondale's in the past and both have held up fine for me.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo 25
    Bump for any info at all? 37 views but no responses?
    LoL ... some of you guys amaze me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ride both and pick the one that feels the best. I think you'll be please with either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Cool thanks for the opinions guys

mtbr member
    picked up my 2011 trail 6 2 weeks ago and have no regrets. the only thing i can suggest is get a new seat since the stock one gets really uncomfortable after a few minutes of riding down a trail and theres no lockout on the front stantchions. color options are limited to white or green, i went with white. the shifters are nice and the bike is very light. i was like you and wanted to buy a good bike that would last me a long time. the cannondale also has an aluminum frame so riding uphill is easier and so is carrying it around. been my first time riding in about 6 years so i think its a good bike to get back into it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    congratulations. I know what you mean about the seat but I've gotten used to it after a few rides. Also have the same characteristic suspension fork as you without the lockout. Thinking about replacing it with a rigid fork but wow, even some rigid forks cost more than some of the entry level suspension forks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus_037
    picked up my 2011 trail 6 2 weeks ago and have no regrets. the only thing i can suggest is get a new seat since the stock one gets really uncomfortable after a few minutes of riding down a trail and theres no lockout on the front stantchions. color options are limited to white or green, i went with white. the shifters are nice and the bike is very light. i was like you and wanted to buy a good bike that would last me a long time. the cannondale also has an aluminum frame so riding uphill is easier and so is carrying it around. been my first time riding in about 6 years so i think its a good bike to get back into it.
    how are the weld joints smooth or pretty good non smooth ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
    how are the weld joints smooth or pretty good non smooth ?
    theyre pretty smooth really. the bike is made incredibly well. i got a new gel seat put on and that really helped make rides more comfortable. im thinking about going clipless next and maybe upgrading my rear derailer. i took the wheels off and cleaned it up and re-adjusted everything this weekend. my first time doing it so im learning a lot by trial and error especially with the quick release wheels. like i mentioned i never had a good bike, always had POS toys r us junk.

one thing the brakes are really noisy sometimes but my LBS said its due to the rotors getting dusty or whatnot so i just wipe them down with rubbing alcohol once a week.

mtbr member
    Vote for the hardrock.....since I have one