Thread: First bike

mtbr member

First bike

Maybe I should have posted this here and not the 29er forum...sorry, I'm new!

Hey gang, I'm looking for some advice on a first bike. I recently sold my road bike and am looking for something I can hop on and ride around town, and also do some off-roading. 90% of my riding will probably be on the street and gravel rail trail, however a few of my friends have some pretty serious mtbs and there are some decent off-road trails/single tracks in our area (Western WI). I doubt I'll ever really due any downhilling just due to the terrain here.

Anyway, I've been looking at a lot of used bikes on craigslist, and then reading what you guys have had to say about them on here. I'm pretty set on a 29er...I've been riding my friend's 2010 Giant Talon 29er 2 for a couple weeks (just on the rail trail and street...no off-roading yet), as well as his 26" old man hybrid. I definitely like the feel of the 29er. My problem is the top of my budget is $500. I've been eyeballing a 2012 Rockhopper 29er on craigslist. The guy is asking $600, but it only bluebooks for $475 (like new). Hoping I can get it for $400, but I have my doubts. Am I stupid if I ended up paying $450?

There is also a 2012 Wahoo 29er for $350. I know it's a very low end bike, and the single wall rims scare me. At the same time, I'm betting I could get it for $300 (if it's not already sold...I've emailed a couple times with no reply). Part of me thinks I would be fine with the single wall rims, but then again I've read reviews of people who have those 550 rims on their hybrid that only sees pavement and they have spokes breaking and rims bending.

I also saw this one get posted tonight:

**2014 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er Disc MTB - Only $375!

I've read a lot of advice on here saying that you should never pay more than 50% of list price for a used bike, and also that you should never pay more that the blue book value. However, pretty much every bike on CL Minneapolis is a couple hundred over the bluebook value. The ones listed for under $500 are all single speeds or fixies...so I get pretty excited when I see a 29er (other than Mongoose or a Walmart bike) that I can afford

Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It looks fairly priced if it fits you. If you start riding more trails with your friends a fork upgrade would be my first change. Check with your friends for anything they may have laying around. Otherwise an Epicon off ebay or Amazon would be about 200.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If your budget is 500 I would start at bikes direct and look at the gravity g1. Used could be a great find if you know what to look for, but could also be a money pit

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    It looks fairly priced if it fits you. If you start riding more trails with your friends a fork upgrade would be my first change. Check with your friends for anything they may have laying around. Otherwise an Epicon off ebay or Amazon would be about 200.
    Which one are you talking about? I'm assuming the Hardrock in the link...that seems like a steal on an almost new bike...

Is $450 or $500 too much for the 2012 Rockhopper?

Comparing the two, the Rockhopper has the M4 frame, and it's a step up in components and fork, however I'm kinda leaning towards the Hardrock. It also has the hydraulic brakes (which I probably don't even need), it's 2 years newer and only a couple months old, and it's gonna be between 100-150 dollars cheaper...

Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    If your budget is 500 I would start at bikes direct and look at the gravity g1. Used could be a great find if you know what to look for, but could also be a money pit

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    I've been looking on BD, mostly at the Motobecane Fantoms. They have the X4 29er for $399 right now. I'm not really comfortable buying something I can't ride first. I haven't found anyplace that is less than an hour drive that sells them. There is a guy around that buys the Motobecane Elite Trail and Elite 8 hybrids off BD, assembles them, then sells them on CL. I went to his place yesterday to see how they feel, and then compare the geometry specs with the other mountain bikes. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. According to all the specs the bikes this size should fit somebody as short as 5'6". So far all the 17.5 to 18 inch frames I've ridden have seemed to have too high of a standover....my nuts get displaced. According to the geometry specs on all these bikes they are right around 30-31 inches....should I be looking at Small frames since I'm on a 29er?

mtbr member
    Bump for advice

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Standover isn't important when compared to cockpit reach while riding. If you find a small with clearance given your inseam you will be cramped while riding most likely. Putting a long 110mm stem and a setback seatpost could give you space but make the handling more twitchy.
    No one stands over a bike except in the store. You lean it to get off and stand on a pedal to get going.
    Bikes with a Suntour 'X' series fork, no matter which version, are all for bike paths because they lack rebound damping. The exception is 14 and 15 models with hydraulic lockout. This includes fixed or adjustable rebound damping. No pogoing.
    A $200 Epicon air fork off ebay or Amazon will be a good upgrade to any of those bikes. Gravity Point 1 bikes from BD have more current geo than the Motobecane low end models. The new titanium bikes with tapered head tube have updated geo.

So you see a lot of RHoppers, HRocks and Talons on CL. They are mostly unused because of the fork. Buy one at a good discount and put a fork on it. You can end up where you want to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    So you see a lot of RHoppers, HRocks and Talons on CL. They are mostly unused because of the fork. Buy one at a good discount and put a fork on it. You can end up where you want to be.
    That's kind of the theory I started with. I figured an entry level, low end (components) bike would suit me just fine early on. Then, as things break I can just replace with better components, and as I become better I can put a quality fork on it.

Once I started looking on CL, I found very very few 29ers for under $500...and most (since it's Minneapolis) are single speed or fixed gear hippie bikes.

That HR I linked to must've sold on the first day...I emailed the guy the same evening the ad was posted. Never heard anything back, and the next day when I checked it had already been deleted by the author.

The RH is still for sale locally. It's a 2012, asking $600. Via email I offered $400. The guy told me no way, and $500 was the minimum. I waited a week, then went to ride it. Turns out it's his wife's. She bought it new and only rode it a few times before she decided she like his FS. She kept riding his FS, and he ended up buying himself a new FS. I rode it and found that they had put the 90mm stem on one of their other bikes and this one now has a 120 (maybe longer) stem on it now. I'm stretching, but guessing I would be very comfortable on it with a 90mm stem again. I told him and his wife that the blue book on it was $475 in Like New condition, and then told them about that HR in the link selling for $375 and only was a few months old with hydraulic brakes and slightly similar components. I then again offered them $400 cash. She said her minimum was $450, and I told them I would think about it.

So my question is: Is $450 still too much knowing that I would have to buy a new stem, and would be getting rid of the plastic pedals? It was the last year of the M4 frame, but that probably doesn't matter much for a guy like me.