1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: First Bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

First Bike

I have been looking for a weekend bike, something to take camping and also to the state park nearby we have here in WI.

I'm really looking for a 26er, and something that I can take on trails, and also road (more so along trails)

I know with my price range, I'm not going to be able to get much.

Everyone tells me to get a $100-200 dept store bike that weighs 40 pounds to see if I enjoy it, but I already know the answer to that!

Our local Wheels & Sprocket had a 2012 4300 Trek Alpha on sale for $600 that I absolutely loved, but it's just a tad bit out of my price range.

He also showed me the Trek 820, but from reading other posts, I can get a more durable/lighter bike more suitable for trail riding for just a bit above that cost.

Used is really not an option as I don't want to drag my feet and wait a month, and our craigslist is rather full with Huffy's.

Well, I'm just really looking for that beginner bike. Anything 400ish would be great. Really just looking for the best all-around trail bike they have to fofer in my price range, which i know isn't much!

-Trek 820?
    -Some mobocane off BD?
    -KHS Alite 150? (Saw this recommended on another post)

Thank you for any valuable responses! Appreciate it!

mtbr member
    I tell all of my friends that it is worth scouring craigslist/pinkbike for a good used bike. You can get an app that will send you notifications when certain criteria are met. You get a much better bike for the money. If you are totally against that route, I would say that the trek, motobecane and KHS are all great starter bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What's wrong with used? And why stick with 26er? A 29er hardtail seems to be a good fit for your needs. Basically, most of the bikes in the 4-6 hundy range are gonna be the same. Buy what feels the best when test riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    BD Gravity Point 1 is 450 and a 29er.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Re: First Bike

Nothing is wrong with used, there is just not much in my area.

450 is a perfect price, but im really looking for a 26.

I should add im 5' 11, 180 pounds

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitr0 View Post
    450 is a perfect price, but im really looking for a 26.
    I should add im 5' 11, 180 pounds
    Ride some 29ers like Trek X-Cal line in medium and Scott Scale 950 in medium. Go in and out of ditches and grass around the parking lot.
    I'm the same as you and 29ers are all I ride on technical rocky rooty single with ups and downs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    I tell all of my friends that it is worth scouring craigslist/pinkbike for a good used bike. You can get an app that will send you notifications when certain criteria are met.
    Can you point me to this app? And also, I agree about used bikes, they seem to have been really good to me and my friends. But then again, I understand what it can be like scouring cl.

Hi There!
    Nothing wrong with a 26, but wondering why you're so stuck on it?
    NTFTC

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

What about an airborne sky hawk?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Ride some 29ers like Trek X-Cal line in medium and Scott Scale 950 in medium. Go in and out of ditches and grass around the parking lot.
    I'm the same as you and 29ers are all I ride on technical rocky rooty single with ups and downs.
    Why encourage him to try two bikes that are waaay out of his price range?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

The airborne looks nice, and about 100$ less than I was originally planning on spending. The only thing, the handlebars seem really strange, im used to more straight handlebars?

Plus, they are out of 17,18, & 19 sizes.

What are my other options for best bang for the buck bike I can take on some trails?
    Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2