1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: first bike

mtbr member
    May 2013

first bike

OK I know that there are probably a million different threads about this but none of them seem to ask all of my questions. I'm looking to buy my first bike. I have done quite a bit of research, and I am still not sure of what to do.

OK so Im located in PHiladelphia and will be riding the Wissahickon Trail system for the most part, and otherwise riding downhill at various places like Mountain creek, Blue mountain, and Spring mountain. I have ridden several times before and I love it so I know i will keep doing it. I would also prefer to be riding downhill but the places are too far and also expensive. So i cannot even decide what kind of bike to get. One problem is that I can only spend under 1000 doll hairs. I know that everyone will tell me not to waste my time but I literally cannot spend that much and am looking to really spend 600 give or take. I know this is not a lot at all, and would love to be able to spend as much as possible but I just cant so that is not an option.

I was thinking of getting a dirtjumper with multiple gears and riding that because I am used to bmx and they seem to be cheaper, but I feel like that could be a horrible decision for the wissahickon. I really don't understand the difference between that and a regular hardtail besides that they are smaller and have a different riding position. I feel as though I am leaving a bunch out but that is basically the gist of things. Any bike recomendations would be great. I just want to get out and start riding ASAP. I would love a full suspension I just don't think there would be a point with my budget at the moment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    DJ bike is heavier, has a slack head tube , equipped with a fork that only takes landing, and short cockpit that is not ideal for pedaling seated

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It appears that you have a limeted budget , anything aimed to downhill is going to be more expensive . For most riding , a trail bike works fine .There's a lot to learn about bikes and riding. If you know about bikes of have a friend that does look at used. This is a first bike ,won't be the last . Buy something ,start riding ,have some fun ,figure out what riding you like ,buy a new bike later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: first bike

Are you gonna be dirt jumping? If not you can definitely get a decent xc bike for that budget

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What should I look for when looking at used bikes. And how do I know what's a good price

mtbr member
    Jan 2012