Thread: First bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

First bike

After my old bike was stolen a little while ago, I have the itch to get back into doing some riding. I mostly road on pavement and did some basic trails and paths, nothing crazy. I want to get a new bike to do this type of riding and start exploring more trail type riding. Long story short, I want to spend about $500 for a new bike and was looking at some basic GT bikes at Dicks or something cheap off Craigslist. I happen to go into a pawn shop and saw a Canfield Brothers Jedi dual suspension bike (well ridden) for $500. The question is, should I just buy it because of the price or will it be too much bike for me? I have only ridden a hardtail in the past, and it appears that all the components are high end... any thoughts out there?

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Here we go, $500 budget.

Cycologist
    Umm, where is this pawn shop?
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Cycologist
    The Canfield is a downhill bike so unless that is what you're planning to do, and it doesn't sound like it, not the bike for you.

Try these threads:

$400 Budget for a 27.5 Possible??

$500 first bike budget...Motobecane?

and there's lots more similar ones.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    @OP - $500 seems to be the magic number for threads of this type - no knock on you. Welcome!

But yep, as per chazpat, have a look at existing threads as there are several for this pricepoint. That bike may look the business, but likely not for you.

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

$500 and eager to ride,, okay go for it. you will have a blast on a $500 bike !

Patience Is a Virtue :~D
    so,
    Keep saving till you got $850, You'll get way more bike.

To make riding much better you will need an extra $500
    for proper pedals, shoes, helmet, gloves, Hydration pack and sum tools.
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Downhill bike would suck for your riding description. I'd keep an eye out for a used bike. Older trek, specialized, giant, kona, etc... Major brand of bike. If you have a friend that knows about bikes, get them to help check it over. If there's stuff wrong with it, pay the appropriate price and try to fix it yourself. Once you learn how to fix a bike up, even entry level stuff, it'll give you confidence to be able to find a better used bike if needed.

My advice for a used bike:
    1. Make sure it fits. If it's too large or too small, you won't feel comfortable riding it. If you're 6' tall, look at a 29er. If you're 5' tall, look at a 26". Appropriate wheel size bike for you, and the appropriate frame size for you. There will always be a super short person on a 29er or a really tall person on a 26", but there's no reason not to have a bike that fits.
    2. Get a geared bike with a minimum 8 speed, and preferably 8 or 9 speed. Parts are cheap, and even if they are setup a little out of whack, they still work.
    2. Rigid fork or a decent fork. Avoid anything that says Zoom, RST, or Suntour XCT. They all use a 28mm fork stanchion and plastic bushings that wear out quick. I'd much rather have a rigid steel fork than a cheap suspension fork.
    4. Get a mountain bike with 2" tires. Highly versatile and goes just about anywhere. You could get a hybrid or road bike, but you might find you enjoy trails. You can't shove a big tire into a road bike frame. You can however put a narrower tire into a large tire frame.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Try PinkBike