Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

First Bike: $1100 budget... Suggestions?

1K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  AndrwSwitch 
#1 ·
Hey folks,
Like the title says, looking to buy my first bike since the one i had growing up. I want to use it mainly for trail riding. I'm about 6'1, 215lbs. $1100 budget, any suggestions? I appreciate any and all replys. Thanks.

#2 ·
How committed to you are mountain biking? Are you absolutely certain you will stick with it, or are you still "testing the waters" at this point?

Also, what is your skillset and how do you plan to ride this bike?

I ask because I was in a similar situation in 2006, when I first got into mountain biking after not having ridden since my teens.

I started conservatively. My first trail bike was a piece of crap department store hardtail (my "ShopKo Special") that I rode hard and wore out. My skillset was minimal, and it was the perfect bike in that regard because it kept the costs of my "learning experiences" to a minimum. I taco'ed three rims in two seasons before deciding, in 2008, that I was hooked on trail riding for life and needed something better.

It was at that point that I purchased an "entry level" hardtail--a 2008 Raleigh Mojave 8.0. It's very basic in terms of features and handling, but the differences between it and the department store bike were night and day.

I've ridden the Mojave to hell and back (very little on it is original, including the frame) and am definitely ready for an upgrade, but the money isn't there right now so I'll probably go at least another season on the Raleigh.

Though I covet a high-end hardtail or a quality FS ride, I'm very happy with the choices I've made because I think they've taught me to be a better rider. (If you can clean a very technical section on a heavy hardtail and with platform pedals, you can clean it on virtually anything.)

There are a lot of excellent hardtails in your price range (even some 29ers), but your choices for full suspensions are much more limited. At $1,100, I think you'd pretty much be stuck with something like a discounted Trek Fuel EX5.0, which is still a lot of bike for the money.

Regardless of what you buy, I would strongly recommend disc brakes. If all you've ever ridden are v- or cantilever-brakes, you might go endo a few times adjusting to discs, but you'll appreciate the extra stopping power and superior control.

Hope this helps and happy trails!

-- HP

#3 ·
First, thanks for the reply and the insight. I have always loved riding and have been wanting to buy a bike for a long time now. My career and the places i have lived recently have kind of put purchasing a decent bike on hold for a while. I know $1100 isnt alot of money in the realm of high end bikes, but i feel i can get a decent bike for that price. I'm looking at specialized, anyone have any input on them?

#5 ·
$1100 is a decent amount of cash to get started. you can get something pretty decent. are you looking for a traditional 26" bike or possibly a 29er?

specialized make good bikes. they are one of the more popular manufacturers. they compete with all brands but another big brand is trek/gary fisher. take a look at various websites to see what's in your price range. similar price points get you similarly spec'd bikes. also, look at other brands too. it's fun to shop around but definitely give some a test ride to see if you like how the ride feels.

definitely check out your local bike shops to see what they have in stock- especially 2010 models. you might just luck out with one in your size. my lbs has had some killer deals- for example, a 2010 paragon for $1200 (regularly around $2K).

search this site like crazy and you'll learn a ton. don't be afraid to ask questions or look uneducated about bikes. ask and the great majority of people here are extremely helpful.

emjoy and good luck!
ez

#7 ·
Used = Less expensive

LBS = service, tune ups, correct fit (for me at least)

Just upgraded to a Giant Talon 29ER1 list $940.
Looked at the Giant FX ? Full Suspension that listed about the same and I hear is a good bike for the money.

Make sure you test ride whatever you end up getting. If it doesn't fit you are wasting your money.

Is $1100 your total budget. I added spare tubes, CO2, locks, helmet, gloves, camel back, 1st aid kit, patch kit, new petals, new grips, tire levers and computer. All the extras add up quick

#8 ·
Well since you have that much to spend I would look at the Trek 6000. But, as it was pointed out above, remember the extras that you need to buy. I toyed around with the idea of getting the 6000 for a bit but didn't want to spend that much money so got a Trek 4300.

#10 ·
On the subject of "extras," keep in mind that many LBSes will throw in certain extras (helmets, water cages, etc.) with the purchase of a new bike. Negotiate your price before mentioning extras, and then see if you can get some of them thrown in.

And always be ready to walk away. If a retailer doesn't feel pressured to meet your price, he won't.

#14 ·
MXPUNK"401" said:
The best advice i could give is DO NOT RUSH INTO IT!! take your time and look all over sometimes you can find used bikes that are virtually BRAND NEW just be patient and it will come to you .I just picked up my first and bought used got a killer deal.
+1 Dont rush it. It took me 6mo to find a great deal. Im glad i passed on everything else. The more you look.. the smarter you become in buying a bike.

Id go to LBS for that price. Go to different ones.

#18 ·
Hoven88 said:
I am for sure taking my time with this. One of the things really holding me back is that my friends dont ride, and i feel if i'm riding alone for the most part my interest may not last. Does everyone here usually ride by themselves or with others?
Depending on where you live, there might be groups that meet regularly at the trails. Check crasigslist and check on the forums here for your state.
http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41

#21 ·
I dunno... I think people often overthink this stuff. Unless you're looking for something really weird, most companies make a decent selection at your pricepoint, so as long as you try a few different bikes - like three, maybe, unless you're still feeling out what type of bike you want - and a couple different sizes in at least some of them, you're probably fine buying your favorite. Giant, Cannondale and Trek are pretty dominant, so there should be some available near you. Other brands are definitely worth a look too, and may stretch your dollar further, but may have smaller selections. It's also worth phoning around and asking about consignment bikes. You can sometimes get a really good deal that way.

I ride a Specialized myself - a Hardrock that gets more and more ridiculous with each new season and team deal. It's been a solid frame, and I like it that many of the fittings on Specialized bikes are quite standard - the bottom bracket and headset on their bikes, at least at your pricepoint, are of the most common types, making replacement very, very easy and generally cheaper, or nicer, depending on what you want to do. Your number most likely puts you on a Rockhopper, although in a '10 model, if you can find one, you might also look at a FSR XC or the base-model Stumpjumper hardtail. The Rockhopper Expert 29er has a significantly better fork and nicer spec than the Comp 29er, if you can stretch your budget a little. (Of course, if you stick with the Comp, you'll still have some money left over for some riding clothes, helmet, gloves, etc. etc.)

I ride alone, with teammates or with friends, depending. I think it's more fun with other people, and I get a better workout with most of my teammates than I would on my own. They both have their pros and cons. I think that starting out, I learned a lot, both about riding and about where to find trails, riding with the friend who got me into it. See if you have a club in your area - a lot of larger cities have them, and it's a good way to get to know some people who ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.