1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

First All-Mountain purchase !

Hi guys,

I'm ready for my first all mountain bike. I picked up this bike on CL. I would really like to know what do you guys think about this setup. I got this for $1200.

Frame: 2010 Specialized XC FSR M4 Large
    Stem: Thompson
    Headset: Chris King
    Brakes: Avid Disk Break System
    Forks: Fox Talas 36
    Seat Post:FSA
    Cranks: BlackSpire 17.5
    Gear Components: Shimano Shram X-9/X-7
    Wheels: Mavic DeeTraks

Thanks for the input !!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sounds shmexy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks Mratomix !
    Any other input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys !

Fat-tired Roadie
    Bigger fork than stock. But if you like riding it, that's probably a good thing.

Reads like a solid spec for banging down singletrack descents.

Pics or it didn't happen.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks AndrwSwitch, I started the smame thread on ALL-MTN page. This is the link with the pics. Let me know what you think ! Thanks again ! First All-Mountain purchase ! Input needed

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nice! I picked up a 08 XC Comp off CL (used 5 times)2 weeks ago for much less but mine was bone stock. I can't comment on the upgrades done to the bike but I love my XC. Good luck

dirtbag
    Don't forget to post the same thread in "Specialized" bikes sub-forum!
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Will do ! And don't forget changing your username to "dick" .

mtbr member
    What I would be careful of is that the bike now has a 36 160mm fork on the front which is a very big increase over the original 32 120mm! This will put a lot of stress on the frame of the bike as it was designed around a much smaller fork. It will also change the geometry of the bike. It is an XC bike with a AM/light free ride fork. This will for sure void any warranty.

mtbr member
    I agree, you may be compromising the strength of the frame with a fork that long. In addition, the bike may ride a bit wonky with an extra 40 mm. I tried something similar with a travel adjustable fork on my xc bike. Running it in 140 vs the lowered 95 mm was all wrong; bottom bracket was way too high, and the slack head angle did not jive with the rest of the bikes geo.

Consider dropping the travel of the 36. Bike sounds pretty decked out for 1200.

Edit: you got a talas 36, keep the travel at 130 mode, it will be fine

mtbr member
    Its also the fact that it is a much burlier fork and not just the amount of travel. For example on the Pivot 5.7, they say you can use a Fox 34 160mm but not a Fox 36 160mm as it is too much!