1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

first 26er fs. am i going backwards for old trend?

being with 29er HT for past 6 month, I was 195lbish. now i weight 168, few weeks ago, I had chance to ride my friend's old 2004 model fs 26er and i had so so so much fun with it... somewhat like bmx feel when i was at jr high...so i wanted to get 26er fs for second bike. while looking in to craigs and lbs, lbs didn't carry much of 26er that i wanted. I almost ended up getting 2013 stumpjumper fsr 29er but killer deal came from lbs...2013 stumpy fsr expert carbon...26er. so i couldn't pass. it was over my budget but i got the deal and waiting my stumpy to be arrive and build. now i have to sell my current bike to cover the difference for stumpjumper. 6 months ago my first budget with mtb was 300~500ish...can't believe dropping couple Gs already... thought it was never gonna happen to me.

never paid attention to 26er... but there was so much fun. because of budgeting i have to let go my current 29er. some say i might go back but i would like to stick with 26 fs since i put some money in.

* i rode 25psi front and back with my current HT, how much can i go up for fs?

* 26 and 29 has different characteristics, where i ride and how i ride... but people don't ride 26 no more? whenever i try to do some search... only 29er info pops up and it started to bug me. am I trying to go backwards to 26er???

not a serious cross country or all mountain just enjoy everything little by little...

mtbr member
    For me, there's always going to be a place for 26ers. Gravity/DH bikes all still come with 26" wheels. Many of the AM and Enduro bikes are now 650Bs, but a few of the 2014 models are still 26ers like the Specialized Enduro. I wouldn't look at it as going backwards. I think many bike companies will still carry 26" wheels because there's still a demand for it.

mtbr member
    I have a 26er and a 29er. They are both awesome for different reasons. I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

With a full suspension, you are not going to need to worry so much about bump absorption of the tires, but you do still want to be at a low enough psi that you get good grip.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The majority of the people I ride with regularly, myself included, have been at it a pretty long time and 'still' ride 26" bikes, by choice. A lot of them have ripped on them for ages, and still do. Some ride 29" bikes now, and now they rip on those too. Wheel size is just one of the countless options out there, just like suspension in it's million forms (or lack thereof), gearing (or again, lack thereof), geometry, tire choice ...blah blah blah...

I'd say, if riding that bike gets you fired up to ride it more, then it's the right bike. Ride it into the ground, then when it's not right anymore, move on. It's not like nobody ever had a good time or did incredible things on bikes until 29" wheels got popular.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I have not ridden my '08 Fuel EX9 (26") since Christmas, as I got a '14 Fuel EX8 29er.

Been trying to get back into riding after a long hiatus.
    Well, I've been improving every ride, as shown by my times on the GPS. Usually 25-30 seconds or so every day.
    My dad finally did not need my 26" EX9 any more, so I rode it last time. I was a full 3 minutes faster. 25 seconds faster on an uphill, and set PRs on every single segment of the ride, except for one, where I was 8 seconds slower, but had stopped for about 60 seconds due to a stick in the derraileur.
    Not so sure the 29er is all the much "faster".
    Also, I loved the aggressive, racy feel of the EX9, as opposed to the more planted, stable feel of the 29er.

Coming from my world of motorcycles, the EX8 29er feels like a dual sport bike. More capable, more solid, probably better overall for more situations, but it lacks the all out "It's ON" feel of the EX9, which I compare to more of a hardcore motocrosser. Light, nimble, flat out responsive, and just begs to be pushed.

I will be riding them both, but the EX9 just feels like a true mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I guess I should keep my ht. Somehow i need to convince my wife...because every bike doesnt cost 1000 or more for her. Any bike I get is 1k or less for her. Even my lbs made me a fake invoice...If you know what I mean...

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Ride what you like man. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing or where the marketing hype is trying to push the public. Obviously you like the 26 inch wheels so let er rip on your new bike. There will be plenty of wheel options for you and they'll be dirt cheap. We've ridden 26 inch bikes for ages now. It works and it works well.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just as there is a benefit to bigger wheels there is also a drawback.... Bigger wheel= more mass to turn over

Not to mention look at the yeti team for 2014 as of now no one is gonna use the sb95 or75 for enduro.... That says alot right there..... The sb66 is gonna be discontinued yet all the team is gonna ride them for 2014... Obviously not a marketing ploy

mtbr member
    Jesus rode a 29er....... jus sayin

mtbr member
    If you do a little traveling on your bike, and get to smaller towns, or just plain live in a smaller place, 26" stuff is pretty common, cheap and easy to find. Might say something about the company I keep, but just about everybody I know has 26" bikes. They may have a 29er in their quiver as well, but it's the 26" stuff I still see the most of at present.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Don't let the internet create a problem for you that doesn't exist. You know better than anyone what you like. Personally, I think that if you are fit enough to keep the 26er moving fast enough over the bumps and roots, it's going to be more fun to ride.

Unless you can get good money for the 29er, I'd try to keep it. Tell the wife you are willing to forego Birthday and Christmas gifts for the next year. Eat Ramen noodles at work for a while. And learn to do your own maintenance and repairs - having 2 bikes makes this easier.

Picture Unrelated
    The internet only likes the newest and highest tech stuff that's out there. My FS26 is treating me just fine, thank you. Of course, if that 27.5 Firebird showed up on my door I sure wouldn't complain...
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Fat-tired Roadie
    They're all bikes.

Honestly, I think the Stumpjumper FS has a little more travel than I'd like in a 29er. But get whatever you have fun on, and don't sweat the details.

DethWsh - funny, I was expecting a totally different conclusion to your post. 10 minutes per hour faster would put me in a really different place in a race. And, noticing that I started PR'ing stuff again on a 29er I was demoing sold it to me. Probably the company we keep.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: first 26er fs. am i going backwards for old trend?

The only issue with a 26er maybe the resale value if everybody else in your area believes it's obsolete.

But if you plan to keep it forever, have fun and enjoy what you like.
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I definitely don't think you're going backwards to a 26". I ride a 26" and a lot of the guys in my area do as well. It's all in what you like...who cares what other people think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchoi23 View Post
    being with 29er HT for past 6 month, I was 195lbish. now i weight 168, few weeks ago, I had chance to ride my friend's old 2004 model fs 26er and i had so so so much fun with it... somewhat like bmx feel when i was at jr high...so i wanted to get 26er fs for second bike....* 26 and 29 has different characteristics, where i ride and how i ride... but people don't ride 26 no more? whenever i try to do some search... only 29er info pops up and it started to bug me. am I trying to go backwards to 26er???

not a serious cross country or all mountain just enjoy everything little by little...
    don't worry about it. Ride what you like and forget about what everyone else says. There will always be a better bike on paper at least so don't worry about if the one you ride is "better" or not. Ride what you enjoy riding.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    some guy will take my bike for $800... wife said i can keep the bike this morning but i forgot about her birthday in two weeks...

and about the speed...
    a guy that i ride with, i was always behind his a$$ all the time. two weeks ago he rode 26er fs one time and he was behind my a$$ for sure... don't believe 26er is faster also i am not looking for the time trials and speeds, 26er fs was just so much fun...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Late post to the thread, but for what it is worth I just went from a 29er ht (trek cobia) to a fs 26er (trek fuel ex 8). I road the cobia for about six months and got tired of getting beat to death on the roots and rock gardens at my local trails. I don't ride for speed or race at all. I ride for fun and exercise. I was able to get a killer deal on the fuel at my LBS. (Larry's cycle shop in Kingsport Tn.) I have no regrets at all. I don't care about wheels size and what others ride. I ride what I like at my pace and just get out with my sons and enjoy Gods great creation. Have fun, that's what it is all about.