1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

First 20 mile ride

Took our first 20 mile ride (younger brother came with) today on the Perkiomen Trail. Had a lot of fun and was looking forward to this since I planned it early last weekend, and I learned a few things too.

1) I really need a good pair of cycling shorts for under the "swishy" pants or shorts for any ride past 9 miles so it doesn't feel like I have a hernia on the way back. I'm thinking Pearl Izumi, any other cheap alternatives that would last a while?

2) I really need to get a hitch put on my eclipse spyder or just buy something I can hook up with a bike rack

3) Always check to make sure you restocked your mid ride snack, be it power bar or Coconutz fuel balls so you don't have to rush to a gast station because your starving and run into poison ivy.

4) I really need to get my wheels trued up lol

And now for the pics (I know its not as nice as some of the other posts like this but these were the ones I thought were pretty nice). Also, I would like to thank again everyone on this board for being as helpful as you all have been. Having been a PC gamer and working retail for some time its nice to see that are some communities that aren't filled with immature asshats.

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've got a pair of Pearl Izumi shorts, and could not be more pleased with them. Sure, there are more expensive pairs out there, but for "normal" riders, they are probably the best deal out there.

As far as racks go...I would bet that you could get a 2" hitch for your Spyder, which would allow you to buy a 2" bike rack, which is more stable than the 1.25" hitches. I'm assuming your car is a soft-top convertible, right? If it's a hard top, look at buying a roof rack system. A good idea no matter what, because you could put anything up there.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    or you could use a trunk rack for the time being.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeah, I have the quest shorts bookmarked at the moment for later purchase. I'm really considering getting a hitch put on, just worried about whether it means cutting into the body in the back or something like that. As far as trunk racks are concerned, every company website I've been to has stated under the products that they don't support spoilers, so I'm SOL on that. In the end, I'm gonna have to take it somewhere and find out whats involved with adding a hitch.

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hitches are usually bolted onto the frame, which should be pre-drilled. Shop might bit&# and moan about putting a 2" receiver on a car, but just tell them it's for a bike rack.

Takes about an hour...not sure on cost (not too bad, I would think)

proof that it can be done:

Eclipse spyder with trailer hitch image by Peepers1 on Photobucket

(not my car...just typed it into google)

...though I wouldn't recommend the SeaDoo set-up

EDIT: even better!!

Imageshack - 1008760h.jpg

should be a snap. Good luck!
    Another thing: if you decide to get a hitch rack, get one that has arms that fold down...makes it easier to store when not in use, and keeps old ladies from getting brained in the grocery store parking lot
    Last edited by CSC; 08-13-2012 at 06:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I love riding the Perkiomen Trail with my son on his tagalong. We've done 35 mile out and back rides with a stop a the ice cream shop right on the trail.

Did you hit up that 12% uphill grade near Spring Mountain? It's a good test of your fitness level if you can make it all the way up without stopping.

Where have you been mountain biking in the area?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Beautiful pics!

I love my Peal Izumi shorts and pants. I also have a pair of champions and the chamois isn't as nice and they are too tight around the legs. I would also recommend some sort of chamois cream!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am actually jealous. It has been maybe 7-8 years since I started riding, and those first long trail rides really give you a sense of well being when they are over, AND a sense that you just discovered something new and exiting. I don't wear bike shorts, and I don't bring fancy treats. I dress comfy, wear a helmet, bring a water, and sometimes bring a green pepper to eat like an apple. I may not look the part in the traditional uniform, but when guys IN uniform see me riding up steep hills with a smirk on my face, and enough breath to smile and say hi to them, they nod and know whats up But enjoy these first couple years, there is nothing like it.

My FIRST serious trail ride? I had a deer run next to me, and then almost ran into another deers arse and was eye to eye with it 2 feet away. I was hooked.

Your butt and other extremeties do, in fact, get used to riding a bit if you do not wear special shorts I have found. But that is just me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I hit the 12% grade by bike launch park if thats where your talking about. Climbed it no stops and climbed the 12% grade on the home as well. We loved every minute of it, and it was nice for the two of us to get out of the house. Hell, I'm just glad it got him off the PS3 a bit. Brother I mean. As for where I normally ride, I'm usually riding red trail accross knight road. I can pretty much leave my house and choose whether I want to ride red trail or trek my way through the perkiomen trail. I'm in the trailer park off 29 before the elementary school if you know where that is. Also, Josh I think those tag-a-longs are so cool. While we were riding somebody had there son out with them on one of those lol.

Csledd, thanks for the input. I must admit I don't know what chamois cream is, I'll do some googling and figure it out.

Stack, apologies for making you jealous and you know what. I had a similar instance happen on the first time I completely rode red trail accross the bridge. I was a little mesmerised by the sights and didn't take the time to think flying by a group of deer wasn't a good idea. Thankfully none of them crossed my immediate line but I was unprepared for the corner coming up lol. Thank you for the advice and I am definitely going to. I can do the 9 mile rides without any serious pain from the saddle, but once I hit 15 or so it becomes bothersome lol. Anyway thanks for the input and advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Funny, 9 miles is the exact number my brother gave to riding without shorts before it felt like he had no ass left. He just started doing longer rides as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    For the pearl izumis enter in the specific model you want on shopping.google.com and sometimes you can find them on sale for even cheaper than on amazon, just saved $30 on a backpack doing this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Acerty View Post
    I hit the 12% grade by bike launch park if thats where your talking about. Climbed it no stops and climbed the 12% grade on the home as well. We loved every minute of it, and it was nice for the two of us to get out of the house. Hell, I'm just glad it got him off the PS3 a bit. Brother I mean. As for where I normally ride, I'm usually riding red trail accross knight road. I can pretty much leave my house and choose whether I want to ride red trail or trek my way through the perkiomen trail. I'm in the trailer park off 29 before the elementary school if you know where that is. Also, Josh I think those tag-a-longs are so cool. While we were riding somebody had there son out with them on one of those lol.
    Cool, haven't been to Green Lane in a while. That was one of the first places I started riding at.

The 12% grade I was referring to was the one near Launch/Spring Mountain. Is the other one paved and inside the park itself? Going up to the Knight Rd?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ok, yeah I did both then. Red trail is only paved once you hit the bridge area. Everything before then is pretty much what you see in this pic and there's a small water crossing. Nothing major but its really neat if your new. Least it was for me anyway lol. As far as difficulty is concerned, its prolly a real easy trail for most people. Just very hilly and littered with rocks and roots as you'd expect. Here's a link with some photos I took of the area, they should give you a good idea of what its like for riding. If you haven't tried it out yet, I must suggest it.

red trail pictures by Acerty - Photobucket

Give me a sec and I'll pm you a link of my last ride down red trail mapped through cyclemeter on iphone. It'll give you a good idea of where it is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Have you tried the blue trail yet? It was re-opened to mtb last summer.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have, and it proved a bit too advanced for me yet with the drop off's. Being as I can't manuel or bunny hop my bike I found myself walking most of it rather than biking. I figure I'd try it again after a few more months of riding. It was definitely an eye opener though as to how insane some of these trails can be though and look forward to having a bit more experience under my belt so I can actually do most of the trail without having to hop off.

So aside from the perk trail, where else do you normally ride?