1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Finish Line Wet Lube any good?

I just came from the lbs and the mechanic recommend I buy Finish Line Wet Lube for the chain. He said it works well and doesn't get gunked up if you use lightly.

I was wondering if this stuff is any good?

Also can I use it to lube my SR XCR Fork Stanchions also?

If not, what is a good all in one lube that I could use on my chain and stanchions that doesn't gunk up and works well?

Mountain Man Dan
    I use the dry teflon lube, < That you can use on your stanchions.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Where do you live/ride.

For here is the SW where t i mostly dry we have found Squirt to be excellent. same formula as other dry lubes but abouyt 400% more lube agent and less solvent/inert liquid. You want lube, not water or solvent.

If it's wet and mucky whre you ride...then I have no idea.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

DynoDon
    I use it on my susspension front and rear, peddles, it works great for that stuff, I was thinking about trying it on my knees and other joints, I wax my chain after every ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Like STT Guy said, I think where you ride should be considered. I picked up the wet lube and it seems to get the job done. But because of the dusty trails in the SW my chain is caked with dirt after every ride cause the wet chain is such a magnet for dirt...and I'm putting it on very lightly as well.

I'm going to try the dry lube next.

Former Bike Wrench
    Finish Line is a good wet lube. If applied correctly and sparingly, a good wet lube will work in all conditions including the dry and dusty SW. Overused and you will have a big nasty mess. Wet lubes actually continuously lubricate the rollers in your chain as only a liquid (oil) can. Most dry lubes are nothing more than solvent and wax. You apply it to your chain and it leaves a wax film behind. The problem is, the wax (a solid) cannot flow so it is quickly worn off your rollers and plates and your chain is no longer protected from friction. So dry lubes need to be reapplied very frequently, often every ride. And of course in wet conditions they wash off very quickly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    finish line makes some reallyu good products. the wet lube is great in the right conditions. if you are on dry/dusty trails it will work as a magnet and trap all that dirt on the chain, on wet tacky or rock trails it is really good. in general i use a dry lube, it doesnt attract dirt, goes on clean and easy, inexpensive, and works really well. you can pick it up at many lbs's or for half the money you can pick it up at lowes.