1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Finding bmx stunt bikes

My grandsons are 7 and 9 and want bmx stunt bikes. I have no clue and have been looking for days . From what I understand they are light bikes. I guess so they can learn to flip them around. Oh my! I really can not spend to much money being I have other grand children to buy for ? I tryed looking at your site which it seems to have a lot to offer but can you please help me.
    Thanks
    im not a computer person a phone call would be easier for me

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've tried comparing on your site and it does not seem to work

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Can someone please tell me what the difference is between a freestyle bmx bike and a jump bmx bike? What is the kind of bike I get if my grandsons want to do stunts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You'll want to be looking at kids sized 'freesytle' bikes.
    Unless you're going to spend some really serious money, they will not be light by any means. Light BMX bikes are more for racing - if you want something tough enough to handle 'stunts', it's going to be comparatively heavy compared to a 'race' BMX, but also a lot stronger.

If the kids are just looking for something to mess around the driveway and yard with, some sort of toy bike from Walmart or your local sporting good store can be fine, but if they are really into biking and looking to ride hard on a regular basis in skateparks and places like that, you're going to want to put them on 'real' bikes, which would probably run you in the neighborhood of $300 or so each new. You'll also want good helmets and knee/elbow pads at a minimum. Again, this depends how much the kids are really into it and how much money you want to spend. Walmart has some Hyper and Mongoose BMX's for 100-150 that might be fine for the 9 y/o, but probably too big for the 7 y/o. (Most BMX's have 20" wheels, I find they're too big for younger kids, specially for jumping and 'stunts').

At 5-7, my son rode a Haro 116 (small 16" wheels so they have lots of room to move around on the bike). Very solid little machine.

2014 Haro 116 - Gloss Black

At 9, he has moved on to 18" wheels, of which Haro also makes a model called the 118 for about the same price, though we ended up buying something a bit nicer used. Of course, a bike like this is likely overkill for a most kids, but mine was riding stuff like this at 6, so I figured he needs a good strong bike.

mtbr member
    any local bike shop should have access to some bmx bikes. bmx bikes can really easily be divided into two categories: race and freestyle. racing bikes are designed for racing on a bmx race track. freestyle bikes can also be called jump, street, dirt, skatepark, "trick bikes," etc. they are designed for jumping, riding ramps, doing tricks, and general tomfoolery that is fun on a bike. they come in a variety of sizes based on subtle differences in the size of the frame but most of them have 20" tires. for the younger boy, you might look for a bike with 18" tires.

for a smaller bike for a lighter rider, you might spend about $200. for a nicer bmx bike that is going to be ridden harder, it will be more like $300-400. if you can't spend that much money, I would avoid buying a cheaper bike that is going to break easily, resulting in expensive repairs or injuries. maybe see if anyone else can afford the bikes and buy them some nice helmets (look for a "skate" helmet that has a round shape and a hard plastic shell) or some pads or a subscription to BMX Plus! or something like that.

stay away from bikes at big box department stores. bike shops that are small and local are your best bet but some of the big chain sports stores might be good as well. visit a few shops and find out who has the best advice. your best bet would be a local store that specialized in bmx, but stores like that are few and far between.

where about do you live? I might be able to suggest a bike shop.
    try these two online shops for ideas:
    Empire BMX | BMX Bikes, BMX Parts, BMX Clothing, BMX Shoes and BMX Accessories
    DAN'S COMP - Bmx Bikes, Bmx Parts, Bmx Clothing, Bmx Shoes and Bmx Accessories!