1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Finally finished and now much poorer!!

As of tomorrow I will have finally completed the expensive but very satisfying project of upgrading my Specialized Epic Comp.

When 1st purchased I was frustrated at the mix of components supplied as it was not a cheap bike - not in Australia anyways - for example to have an XTR RD teamed with a HG50 Cassette.

Upgrades are as follows;

1. Replaced FD from LX to XT.
    2. Replaced the Specialized Strongarm Crank with XT M752 - $89.00USD fron Jenson!!
    3. Replaced HG50 cassette to XT M760.
    4. Replaced "generic' seatpost with Thomson Elite.
    5. Replaced LX Shifters and Avid SD5 levers with XTR Dual Control.
    6. Replaced 'generic' Stem to Thomson Elite.
    7. Replaced handlebar with Race Face Deus XC Low Riser.
    8. Replaced shonky plastic 505 pedals with Crank Bros 50/50X.
    9. Replaced rubber with Maxxis Holy Roller's which are sensational.
    10. Replaced HG73 Chain with Sram PC99.

My only problem now is to stop drinking beer and drooling over it and start riding the bl00dy thing.

Thanks to all who have assisted with this upgrade over the last few months.

Oh yeah, thinking of replacing XTR RD with a rapid rise model and SD5 Brakes with ??? - and possibly a stronger Wheel Set - any suggestions??

They say a fool and his money are soon departed and I am the king of fools!!
    Last edited by Mullos; 05-13-2006 at 11:01 PM.

Custom User Title
    I can't believe you used all of your beer money on that stuff. jk

I would think long and hard about the rapid rise. Not too many people have had good experiances with them. You got the duel's maybe go with the matching brakes. you made good decisions on all other components so you'll probably do fine on the rest. I am a SRAM fan though and would of gone XO, but that's me.

What wheels are you running? Do you have a good fork? Possible upgade there.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Forks are Fox Float F-80 RLT - Wheels are Mavic X225's with DT Swiss competition spokes - Hubs are rear Shimano M-510 and front Specialized Stout - I think the hubs are the weakness in this case.

Yeah I think your right about the rapid rise RD - been looking at brakes but am hearing people complain about the squeal on XTR and XT calipers - maybe I could just replace the pads with Avid's or something not sure. I'm stuck with rim brakes for the time being + they are heaps easier to maintain and lighter than discs.

Oh yeah - I always keep some loose change in my pocket for beers!!

Having a few beers now waiting for the delayed telecast of the F1 & MoToGP's - Casey Stoner is a local lad.

Cheers.

Life is Good
    I have the new XTR rapid rise rear derailleur and I like it alot. I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever, and I've had it for just under a year now with LOTS of "all mountain" use.

Sounds like a nice upgrade, but two comments:
    1. Do you not like clipless? I think you're the first person I've heard with 50/50's on an epic :P Nothing wrong with that though, its just a bit of a break in the mold. How do you like the 50/50's? I wanna buy some soon for my Enduro.
    2. Where the hell are the pictures?! (like of the 50/50's)

Enjoy your (practically new) bike bro!

mtbr member
    I had every intention of going clipless - read about the increased power and efficiency etc etc - went out an purchased some shoes and cleats and proceeded to practise in my living room as they say you should do - fell arse over tit and onto the coffee table in front of my girlfriend - hey honey check this out - oops!!

I find myself riding urban assault and just find it more enjoyable if I don't have to worry about unclipping in time or maybe having a spill and breaking my ankles cause I was not able to get out of the pedals. When I get more serious and venture off road where there are no sudden stops caused by traffic or pedestrians I will have another look at them. I know that when I get serious about my riding they will be advantageous to have but not at the moment.

The 50/50X's are excellent - they look sic and seen to suit the riding I do - they have a huge platform and are beautifully made although I had a problem with overtight bearings with my set - these babies were expensive here in Oz but if I could buy them at US prices I would have gone the 50/50XX's with the serviceable bearings.

Pics to follow when my mate returns my digital camera!!

Cheers
    Last edited by Mullos; 05-14-2006 at 07:17 PM.

sushi lover
    May 2006
    Thomson stem and seatpost = sick package... another one is King headset and HUBS... =)

Custom User Title
    I would look into stronger wheels if you are doing urban. As for the brakes, XTR's are good if you use the XT rotors. I have the older XT 4 piston, I really like them.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Life is Good
    It seems that everyone I talk to about the 50/50s recommends the xx's so far. I guess I'll be going with those

Can't wait to see those pics! Sorry about the embarrassing fall in front of the girl friend

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele
    I can't believe you used all of your beer money on that stuff. jk

I would think long and hard about the rapid rise. Not too many people have had good experiances with them. You got the duel's maybe go with the matching brakes. you made good decisions on all other components so you'll probably do fine on the rest. I am a SRAM fan though and would of gone XO, but that's me.

What wheels are you running? Do you have a good fork? Possible upgade there.
    Well, I think that the low-normal works pretty well with the dual control. I started using the normal high-normal ones, but then changed to the low-normal when the first one broke and couldn't find the !"#"! rollers. I like my current setup now. It's just personal preferences, but yes, most people don't like the low-normal (rapid rise).

ride hard take risks
    Flatz rule!!! Who needs clips when you have shoes
    http://www.sixsixone.com/catalog.asp...1ef16c&pl=BIKE

Sounds like the rear der is fine, leave it & ride. Maybe get new cables & housing, underrated upgrade.

More beer always is a great upgrade!!