1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

field chain repair

Okay, you pop your chain.
    You find your pin.
    How do you fix the chain right then and there.
    With most multi tool chain deals it is next to impossible to load the pin to start to press it in.
    I have a shimano chain that has a pin to help get started, but for others.. how do you get it together to get it back in or what is best thing to repair a chain in that situation-product?
    Also, should you just remove that one link that broke for starters?
    thanks

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

One Chain...Two Rocks

If you don't have a chain-breaker tool, or pliers - laying the the chain on a rock, while you bash the link pin thru, is about the best Flintstone way to do it...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    A much better way to do it is to just buy a quick link and chain tool. Remove the broken link, install quick link, done. Super easy fix and really inexpensive. IMO, every mountain biker should carry a chain tool with them.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1362 View Post
    Okay, you pop your chain.
    You find your pin. ...With most multi tool chain deals it is next to impossible to load the pin to start to press it in.
    Did the pin come all way out of the chain? If so, just remove a link like you said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    If it came right out just bash it in with whatever you can find and finish it with your chain tool. You'll want to replace it anyway so whatever gets you rolling again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by owensjs View Post
    A much better way to do it is to just buy a quick link and chain tool. Remove the broken link, install quick link, done. Super easy fix and really inexpensive. IMO, every mountain biker should carry a chain tool with them.
    That is the easiest way. I carry 2 or 3 connex quick links and have a chain tool on my multi tool. If I break a link, I just remove the link with my chain tool and put a quick link on. I'm riding again in 2 minutes.

EDR
    If you ''pop'' your chain then the pin has broken, they do not just fall out.

You either carry a new pin or two with you....or you carry a quick link. You don't bother to try to reuse a broken pin

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    just push your bike back home

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

field chain repair

Always carry quick links and a chain tool. Otherwise you're most likely in for a nice hike.

Now, to answer your specific question, if you do not have a quick link remove the bent/broken link entirely. The key is, when you push a rivet, dont push it all the way out. Just enough that it is still attached to the outer plate. Reconnect the chain using that rivet. Trouble is, this method leaves about a 50/50 chance of failure. Believe me, I know. Also, it may cause some shifting issues, and limit access to your lowest gear, but it may be enough to get you home and it's better than walking.

And even if that repair holds, don't forget it is just a "patch". It will break again soon. replace it immediately.

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Always carry quick links and a chain tool. Otherwise you're most likely in for a nice hike.

Now, to answer your specific question, if you do not have a quick link remove the bent/broken link entirely. The key is, when you push a rivet, dont push it all the way out. Just enough that it is still attached to the outer plate. Reconnect the chain using that rivet. Trouble is, this method leaves about a 50/50 chance of failure. Believe me, I know. Also, it may cause some shifting issues, and limit access to your lowest gear, but it may be enough to get you home and it's better than walking.

And even if that repair holds, don't forget it is just a "patch". It will break again soon. replace it immediately.

- Rob

This. ignore the rest of the answers

Kick Start My Heart

Re: field chain repair

x2. Break out the busted link, move on, buy a fresh chain later, that chain is toast anyway. My multi-tool has a chain tool as part of. I don't carry the master link-one less thing to lose. I don't break often, but when I do, I do this.
    I did the rock method once. When I was way younger, and invincible and like 5 miles from anywhere. I prefer the tool, thank you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2