1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Fezzari VS Motobecane

I need input on the which bike would be better (cost / reliabilty / customer service). Both have received great reviews with little to no bad things to say. I know that a bike at a LBS would be the best options, but for the sake of argument pretend that these two bikes were the last on the planet. I need some outside input because one is 750 dollars cheaper than the other, but both are good.

Motobecane: 2010 Motobecane Fantom Team Mountain Bike (Bikesdirect.com)
    Price: 1899.00
    1.) Cheaper
    2.) Better Drivetrain (XTR)
    3.) Better Brakes
    4.) Good Suspension
    5.) Warranty / return policy iffy...
    6.) I can use the money im saving to upgrade any weak parts

Fezarri: NEBO PEAK (Fezzari.com)
    Price: 2649.00
    1.) Still a great price for components
    2.) Custom setup to riders specs good customer service & 30 day money back guarantee
    4.) Frame is perfect for me because of angle for a better stand over without compromising bike size. Short rider 5'5"
    5.) Good drivetrain
    6.) better rims and tires
    7.) Great Shocks / Fork

Let me know your input please.

Can't feel my legs
    Ride them both, and pick the one that fits/feels the best.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    There both online bikes.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    XTR isn't necessarily better than X0. What gets my attention is the Fox RLC and the RP23. Worth a 700 difference? IDK... I think if you're in the $2700 range you could probably get a Giant Trance with similar components.

Can't feel my legs
    My point exactly

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ive looked at the Giant bikes as well. I also had a chance to test drive it at a LBS. I didn't like the feel. Im not nec in the 2700 dollar price range, ferazzi was just something that was a good deal. I know one person with the bike and hes about 2 inches taller than me. I rode his and loved it. However the motobecane is extremely cheap and with the extra money i can upgrade what ever i want. My first choice was a GT bike though from performancebikes. I also test drove a couple of them as well. I currently have a trek and love it, but I can't get the same components for the price (GT as well). Back to the original question though, if you had to choose between these two which would you choose?

Can't feel my legs
    Quote Originally Posted by Subie
    Ive looked at the Giant bikes as well. I also had a chance to test drive it at a LBS. I didn't like the feel. Im not nec in the 2700 dollar price range, ferazzi was just something that was a good deal. I know one person with the bike and hes about 2 inches taller than me. I rode his and loved it. However the motobecane is extremely cheap and with the extra money i can upgrade what ever i want. My first choice was a GT bike though from performancebikes. I also test drove a couple of them as well. I currently have a trek and love it, but I can't get the same components for the price (GT as well). Back to the original question though, if you had to choose between these two which would you choose?
    What if you get the moto and find it to ride like the giant?

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    What if you don't like the ride of the Moto at all?
    What if it's extremely flexy?
    What if the frame breaks with their iffy return policy?
    Then you're out of a bike, coin on a new frame, and building it up yourself.
    If you want to risk it you shouldn't be asking me because I don't like to gamble with 1,900 dollars plus the cost of an extra frame if needed. So that's roughly 2,200 at least if you get an ebay Giant XTC frame. At least 2,900 or more if you get a very nice frame at retail.
    Is it really worth it? I would say nay, but to each his own.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I guess you guys opted out of answering the initial question and had your own agenda in mind. It's cool and totally understandable. Buying a bike in person is a very logical choice. Gian is a very good company as so are others. Iím willing to take the risk though of ordering online and with fezzari 30 day money back guarantee its pretty good. Motobecane will just have to be a tossup. However, I won't argue any further because this path has been argued on many times before. I just wanted someone to run through the specs / reliability / customer service and give me there pick of the two. Thats it nothing further. I'll just wait for the next personís response.

Rollin 29s
    I can only speak for one of the manufacturers you are considering, but here's my experience:

I've spent the last 2 months test riding bikes and talking to local bike shops, local bike owners and online retailers while narrowing down my bike choices based on quality, value and customer service. Bikes Direct was one of the online retailers I grilled when enquiring about the Motobecane 2010 Fly Ti Team 29er.

I quickly eliminated several of the local shops here in town who were clearly more interested in a quick sale than listening to my concerns and matching me with a bike that fit my needs. Not to mention, that the value for the dollar takes a serious nosedive when buying many of the major name brands out of a brick and mortar store.

Bikes Direct personally responded within an hour or two to each and every question and concern I had about the Fly Team 29er, the Bikes Direct company and warranty. I feel very comfortable that they will stand behind their product. The build quality and components are top notch for the price, and would be a great value at twice the price.

That said, I put a deposit down on the Moto Fly Ti Team 29er at Bikes Direct and I couldn't be more comfortable with my decision.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thank you. I really appreciate that kind of info. I was skeptical of their customer service

should know better.....
    To answer your actual question straight up, I say go for the Fezzari. The retail on that fork is $900. Retail on the rear shock is $380. (tremendous fork by the way, class leader....)
    The brakes will function just as well. They are both Avid Elixers, the "plumbing" is fundamentally the same.
    Wheels are probably very similar to each other looks like an XT level hub with nice Mavic rims on the Fezz. Don't know the Vueltas well enough to comment.

The money back guarantee is the decider.

All that being said........SUPPORT YOU LOCAL BIKE SHOP!!!!!

But if you must.....Fezzari...
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

offroader
    Dec 2008

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Subie
    Thank you. I really appreciate that kind of info. I was skeptical of their customer service
    You have a reason. There's quiet a few posts stating their lack of customer service, but maybe it has improved. Now that I think about it even getting the Motobecane and in a worst case scenario you have to get a used frame or ebay an xtc it would be worth it if you know how to wrench. That is if the wheelset holds up. I know nothing about it. Their prices cannot be beaten.

mtbr member
    Just to state my experience with BD.com. I don't have the same bike as you linked to, however I was extremely happy with my purchase. I asked several questions and they responded quickly. Order confirmations and tracking numbers arrived in my in-box the next day. Bike arrive in good condition in about 4 days. Assembly is easy and straight forward. Mike from BD.com frequents the boards here, so they are up on customer satisfaction and you can PM him for quick responses. The frames are usually re-branded from another company, like my frame is the same as the Fuji Tahoe 29er. So generally you can figure out what frame it is and check the reviews to get an idea of durability and ride.

I can't speak for the Fezzari, but I'm sure its a good bike as well.

Beyond Definition
    If I had to choose between the two bikes you have posted, I would pick the Fezzari. I like it better from the looks and components (I see no reason to upgrade any parts). I've been looking at Fezzari for my next bike.
    2009 Giant Yukon

mtbr member