1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike Part 2

This is a follow up to my previous thread.

Fezzari Cascade Peak My New Bike

Keep in mind that Iím still inexperienced in MTB riding as my separated shoulder keeps reminding me, #@!$ squirrel hole.

Before the crash I did get to put some time on the bike and itís a whole new learning experience for me. I donít have any complaints about the bike except the back brake is noisy, it may be a bit out of round.

I took it out to Montana de Oreo State park and did single track riding with the club on our yearly camp out. The bike held up fine and got me where I needed to go, I will admit that the trail did scare me, (not my video I'm not anywhere close to his skill
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBELmNXuu4Y ) single track with sheer cliffs on the side that if you went off trail you werenít stopping until you reached the bottom. Even with my fear and my struggles to keep up with the experienced riders I had a great time.

Before the ride when some of the guys were checking the bike over they thought that it didnít have enough air in the shock and fork for my size, and that the rebound needed to be adjusted. They added about 10-15 lbs to each. I did notice that it was a bit stiffer just bouncing up and down on the suspension, but on the trails I didnít notice its affect one way or another.

In practicing hill climbing on the same hill over and over (extremely steep canít get it to the top yet) I noticed how much of a big difference the adjustable Tallas makes. I would recommend to anyone new to MTB to spend the extra money and make this upgrade. The last time out just before the crash I was climbing the hill and forgot to shorten the fork and was not getting as far up the hill as I had in the past. Locked it down to 130mm of travel and could almost make it to the top. My buddy is able to get to the top on it and his comment was its just a little bit harder to pedal, he is used to his 3x10. Did I say I love the 2x10.

The last few years Iíve race CX on a cross bike, when using the MTB on the same course it makes a world of difference. When doing CX I would feet uncomfortable on certain parts of the course do to tracking and traction. I donít feel that way on the MTB, I feel like Iím flying because Iím not slowing down for the turns like I would on the CX bike.

All-in-all Iím quite satisfied with the bike. If I was to do it again I wouldnít hesitate to buy it again. Now since this is the beginners corner and thatís what I am on a MTB, you will need to consider that when putting this bike on your to investigate list. But if you donít want used and you donít want to build up yourself, I think you canít go wrong with this AM bike if upper quality components are what you want at its price point.

This is what MTB is about, being with friends and getting outdoors and seeing something of beauty.

Be safe and have fun!

nocturnal oblivion
    ^^^That's not Fresno! If you are in Fresno still be sure to check out 007 trail up by Oakhurst, one of the most trails around. Squaw leap if you're into rocks, do it clockwise though. Enjoy!
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    No its not. One of these days when I'm healed and better skilled I'll be doing some of the trails up in the foothills. So far I've only done Hensley and Woodward Park around here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hey I just got my Alta Peak and had the (guessing) same noisy back brake. I was able to get mine quiet by loosening the QR and making sure the wheel was straight and seated well in the frame. You may be able to do the same.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrchuck View Post
    Hey I just got my Alta Peak and had the (guessing) same noisy back brake. I was able to get mine quiet by loosening the QR and making sure the wheel was straight and seated well in the frame. You may be able to do the same.
    I'll give that a shot. Never even thought of that, I don't even know if I messed with other than checking it was tight when I put the bike together and changing one ripped tire.