1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

few questions (rear shock, chain, cables)

took the bike (kona kikapu) out on the trails today for a good little run / first time, couple issues came up:

-on some real steep climbs, I noticed the front end of the bike lifting and resulting in me having to walk the bike up. Is this an indication of too soft of a spring on the rear end. (I also notice if I really stand up and pump it, I get some pretty good bob going) FYI the bike has a vanilla R with a 400 lb spring - I'm 185, 6'0" tall

-when I drop the chain onto the lowest (front) ring, I notice it rubs along the bottom of the front derailleur, regardless of what gear (rear ring). Is that normal, or is the cahin too loose?

-Is there any kind of cloth tape you can wrap around the cable where they cross the frame??? I'm noticing some paint rubbing already, but also on bumpy trails, it makes a heck of a racket (especially around the seatpost)

mtbr member
    as far as your first question, it sounds like you probably just have your weight to far back. try to get down low over the handlebars to keep it forward. I really don't know whether the suspension bob could be causing that because its never been an issue for me.

with the chain problem, it dosn't seem like it should be doing that, the chain or rear derailleur is out of whack

for the cables (assuming it dosn't have the little rubber deals), I don't see what it could hurt to wrap some electrical tape on the cables where they rub, as long as it's not too close to the cable housing.
    Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, when attached to the skull with common wood screws, can a make a child look like a deer.

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by hossy

-when I drop the chain onto the lowest (front) ring, I notice it rubs along the bottom of the front derailleur, regardless of what gear (rear ring). Is that normal, or is the cahin too loose?

-
    Might be a loose chain, or could be your derailer is mounted a bit too high. I'd check the chain first.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I use glueless tube patches and emergency tubeless tire repair patches to protect my frames.

On uphills try sliding your arse further forward on your saddle and putting your upper body more horizonal, elbows bent and head toward your stem. Too much of this and your rear tire will spin, if so slide your butt a bit back.

Meh.
    For the climbs, shift your weight forward. You can add some preload to your shock if you'd like.

For the derailleur, sounds like the derailleur is mounted a bike high.

For frame protection... Electrical tape works great.