1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

A few questions from a newbie

When I was setting the sag on my forks I let a bit of air out and a greasy green type oil came out is this normal ?

Dam I now can't remember the others questions now but will add them when I remember

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I noticed it when my bike wheel was free wheeling then rear cassette seems to move side to side as if something is bent but my brothers bike does it as well ? Thanks in advance just intrigued really

mtbr member
    Both of things you mentioned are normal and are not signs of a serious issue. Keep riding

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks It's a brand new bike is it still normal ? Haven't actually had a proper ride yet was ill all weekend and haven't got any got lights yet so desperate to get out soon see how she performs

mtbr member
    Yep, completely normal better get some lights and get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lankyspark21 View Post
    Thanks It's a brand new bike is it still normal ? Haven't actually had a proper ride yet was ill all weekend and haven't got any got lights yet so desperate to get out soon see how she performs
    That's nothing to worry about, especially for a new bike. Just get better and ride it. I am sure that everything will be ok.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Had my first little ride today luckily was working at home which gave me half hour to get out and ride it, with new skills learnt from the cornering videos I was able to hit the turns so much faster stopped trying to ride it like a motorbike and lean into the corners now looking forward to doing some proper trials at the weekend!!!!

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by lankyspark21 View Post
    Thanks It's a brand new bike is it still normal ?
    The air piston is covered by a layer of very thick oil which helps keep the o-ring(s) inside the air spring lubed up so they don't leak. A very small amount of oil often comes out when you unscrew the shock hose, as was said this is normal. If you want to reduce the amount of oil always make sure that the valve you're inflating is facing upward. So if you're inflating an air valve that is pointing toward the ground, it's best to turn the fork over when removing the hose. Also important is to make sure that if you do have a valve pointing toward the ground (many Lefty forks, Rockshox negative air chambers, and so on) to make sure that you prevent that oil mist from getting on your disc rotor or caliper. Hold a clean rag around the air hose when you unscrew it and wipe everything clean before you put the valve cap back on.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?