1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!

A few nOOb tire related questions...

I'm gonna need a fresh tire on the rear pretty soon and the front's not too far behind. Stumpy FSR Comp is my ride. I'm still sporting the original old Specialized Pro Resolution DTC at a 26x2.00 size front/rear. As I'm getting my legs back during this rehab period, I split my riding (riding almost everyday) between two environments. 1 day I'm on single track, not very technical, with hardpack and some areas with loose soil and a few very small rock gardens thrown in. My alternate day I'll ride a loop from my home that catches a little fire road / gravely soil but mostly paved road riding. I know the latter is what is eating my rear tire but I need that ride so I can stay in the game and keep building my leg muscle back so for now, pavement is a factor to be dealt with.

Can someone offer some advice on a tire that might do well under these circumstances? The dirt performance is probably more critical to me so I thought I just might roll with a Kenda Nevegal (popular for local area conditions) and suck up the pain of quicker wear for now but I thought I'd ask since I know little about specific attributes of MTB tires.

Also, having 2.00 widths on the wheelset now, should I consider going bigger? At what point is a wider tire better? Any idea if a 2.3 would fit on my SJ FSR Comp? And, does big go up front and slim in the rear?

I'll stop there. That's plenty to chew on for now.

Appreciate any usefull advice.

mtbr member
    beef up your front and run a more durable rear. hans dampf & conti mountain king 2.35/2.4 make great fronts. maxxis Ardent & Kenda block, 2.2s, etc would work well on the rear. stay away from Swalbe on the rear if durability is a concern. if not the RaRa and Nic PCEs are great.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Road bikes don't have to be expensive if you don't want them to be.

You could buy a new tire for the front, rotate the existing one, and throw out your worn-out rear tire. That has the advantages that you're always getting the full life cycle from your tires and the tires you put on the rear should always be a little smoother before they get there.

Fatter front/skinnier rear is a more common combination, but the bike police won't cite you for doing it the other way.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Ride the dream
    I'd second what Andrew just said about fatter front/skinnier rear, but also add that you can also take that as a more agressive front/faster rolling rear.

There are tyres out there that perform very well offroad and yet still roll very well on it - a near-continuous line of blocks in the centre of the tread often rolls better on tarmac.
    Perhaps take a look at something like the maxxis crossmark, wtb nano or mutano or hutch python - atleast for the rear wheel, perhaps with something a little grippier on the front. A good friend uses an advantage front and crossmark rear and is very happy with it, that kind of combination may work well for you.

Afric Pepperbird
    + rep. for your user name The child within me is giggling.

Cow Clicker
    Rotate them now. You don't need much grip in the center of your front tire for what you are doing.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.