1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Few bikes to choose from

I'm new to mountain Biking and will be doing mainly trail riding with the occasional road riding. I will also want to hit small jumps. I went to my lbs the other day and these are the bikes that they had under $1000. Trek marlin, trek mamba, trek wahoo, specialized hard rock and hard rock sport and specialized rockhopper. There may have been another 1 or 2 but what do you guys suggest for me to get. Do you think the $600 bikes will be good enough for what I want to do or should I spend the money on the $1000 with the rockshox forks?thanks

mtbr member
    I used this google thing on the intrawebs. Bike radar liked the Trek Mamba the best, though they had nothing on the Wahoo. If you search for reviews it might help you with your decision. You are the only one that can ride the bikes and decide which one you like the best. I highly recommend that you do that.
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp Review - BikeRadar Specialized Hardrock Sport - BikeRadar Specialized Hardrock SE Review - BikeRadar Trek Mamba Review - BikeRadar Trek Marlin Review - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yea I no. It just sucks because I won't be able to test ride them in the trails to see which one I'd like best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdsiman View Post
    Yea I no. It just sucks because I won't be able to test ride them in the trails to see which one I'd like best.
    But you can at least ride them around the parking lot to check to see if the geometry works for you? That's probably the most important thing to know for sure, once you decide on what interests you the most.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yea I hope they have a little area to. From what I saw they don't because there on a Main Street ha. Maybe ill check out another store that has a parking lot

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The main thing you need to look at is the components, fork, shifters, derailers ect. I personally like air forks over coil sprung any day. Also if you are testing out a bike with an air sprung fork, it may feel too soft. You can increase the preoad by adding pressure to the fork. The bike shop can adjust it for you or you can get a pump off ebay cheap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Cool good to know. I'm going to check out a couple more lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well, I'm a Trek whore so naturally I vote for one of the Treks. My friend has the Wahoo and loves it. I have a superfly 100 and couldn't be happier... That said, whatever you go with, spend as much money as you can and get the best bike that you can - you will never say to yourself "gee, I sure wish I had bought that cheaper bike..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can put together a cheaper bike with a fork upgrade to a $450 Gravity Point 1 from Bike Direct. The geo is close to Trek's The Suntour fork should be upgraded for trail riding. Suntour upgrade program $175 air Raidon- $625.
    While available a Recon Gold from Random Bike Parts for $240 drops 1.5lbs.. Total $690.
    The Gravity Point 6 2012 is $1199 with a dual air Reba + XT and XTR rivetrain components.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point5 29er Mountain Bikes
    A 2012 Trek X-Cal or Scott Scale Elite could be a good buy with a discount to less than 1300. Both have dual air Rebas instead of the solo version on the 2013 bikes.