1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

'fender like' guard to shield front derailer??

Looking for a fender like device that would shield the front derailer from mud and debris being kicked off the rear tire. Something that would run from the frame near the crank up to the upper bracket (where the rear brake would mount).

Anyone know of something like that??

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have seen people rig up things like that, a thick piece of poly (crazy carpet) and some zip ties.

but in the end why you still have to clean the bike, and my FD has never quite working, even with the tires jammed to a stop with mud.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    I have seen people rig up things like that, a thick piece of poly (crazy carpet) and some zip ties.

but in the end why you still have to clean the bike, and my FD has never quite working, even with the tires jammed to a stop with mud.
    I don't really have an issue making something work if there is no commercial product available.

I just want to avoid jamming the FD up solid with mud, it seems to get it the worse out of everything on the bike. Its thick mud so it just packs in the frame.