1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    I'm with stupid

Female bike advice

Well as winter has become spring here, my girlfriend has decided that she wants to start riding Well needless to say she does not have a bike, So we are on the hunt for a new entry level female bike. Hardtail just do to cost wise and not a big investment just in case this is a fad that she will get tired of riding fast. What do you rec. my LBS showed her the cannondale F5 but they did not have her size for her to go ride around. What else is out there that is around the same stuff with same price. thanks.

Professional Speed Bump
    F7 Fem
    Specialized Myka
    Scott Contessa
    Trek 4300 WSD

mtbr member
    you're doing the right thing by checking out your lbs. as you probably saw some brands have women specific geometry, but just like any bikes, some feel better than others. it's all about preference. have her check out a bunch of bikes and be sure it's comfortable for her. for us we could usually deal with not the perfect fit because we really enjoy the sport and can suffer a little. there's nothing worse than a new rider not feeling good on a bike- can turn them off really quickly. also be sure to swap out a saddle that fits her better.

good luck and enjoy- riding with significant others can be a lot of fun!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 890
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'd say the Scott Contessa 20 has better components and around the same price. The added lockout had my wife loving for around the neighborhood too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Since it will be new to her and she may "b*tch" out lol, check craigslist if you live in/close to a decent size city.

One thing I've noticed on my local CL is tons of NICE womens/small/xsmall mountain bikes at less than half of what you're going to spend at an LBS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just bought my fiance' the Specialized Myka. She loves it. And it has room for all the upgrades. Plus without disc brakes it ran us only $400.

keeping it dirty
    Last summer I took my GF out to look at bikes. She tried the Myka and she didn't like it. I'm not sure what it was, maybe I'll ask her later.

We ended up getting a Cannondale F5 (size small, not female type). Right when she got on the F5 she knew that was the one. We got a great deal on it ($450+tax), and with all around better components, disc brakes, better fork, etc.