mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Felt Q520....What say ye?

So it's more than I wanted to spend on my intro to this sport. I am really just riding to lose some pounds and bc I can't run without my knees killing me.

After another trip to my LBS I have come to the conclusion, that I won't be getting a Trek 3700, just didn't feel right. The other bike I rode today was an 09 Cannondale F9, I liked it but felt it was a touch overpriced for what I would be getting in components. (in my limited knowledge)

I am now seriously looking at a Felt Q520 for 469.00. Give me the good, bad, and or ugly.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Are you riding on off-road trails or on the road? Sounds like you're wanting to ride on the road or paved trail for exercise. If I'm wrong and you want to ride off-road trails, then the Felt is a nice bike as are the others you mentioned. Just find one that you like best. They are all pretty similar in that price range. Make sure you like the Bike Shop as well. chances are you will spend a lot of time there in the future.

Now, if you ARE looking to ride more on roads or paved trails, look into getting a hybrid. Looks like a mountain bike but meant more for paved roads to light hardpacked trails. Could make riding much more enjoyable on smooth surfaces.

Professional Speed Bump
    The reviews are excellent on the Q520. Another guy on this forum has just purchased one himself after test riding several others: 2009 Trek 6000 or 2010 Trek 4500

I believe it was the only one in it's range to have a lockout on the fork so if you do stay on the road...it will be a much better riding experience than those without the lockout. The lockout also helps a lot during long climbs.

I think it's a good quality hardtail for the price, but make sure that you have test rode the bike and feel comfortable on it before you make the final decision.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjoon
    The reviews are excellent on the Q520. Another guy on this forum has just purchased one himself after test riding several others: 2009 Trek 6000 or 2010 Trek 4500

I believe it was the only one in it's range to have a lockout on the fork so if you do stay on the road...it will be a much better riding experience than those without the lockout. The lockout also helps a lot during long climbs.

I think it's a good quality hardtail for the price, but make sure that you have test rode the bike and feel comfortable on it before you make the final decision.
    Thanks Cap. The lock outs are something that I would want as I have some steep long climbs near my house. The off roading that I would be doing is probably light compared to what the hardcore guys do. I just want to ride some logging roads at my cabin, and some field roads/ few deer paths in the woods where I'd be going over some small logs 4-5inch in diameter.

Members who have read this thread: 0