1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Fatboy getting back into shape

I am new here and would like to say hello. I am like most people due to the fact i used to ride the hell out of my Huffy when i was a kid. Well as i grew older, I got out of biking and the weight added up. Then i got married and really started to pack on the pounds. Two weeks ago i said enough is enough. I asked my wife if she would like to get into biking with me.

We purchased 2 bikes from our LBS. I got the Mojave 8.0 20 inch and she got the Haro "heartland" 16 inch. We also bought a bike rack and 2 helmets.

We have had a blast ever since. My initial reason for getting into MTBing was for the weight loss but now even if i didnt lose any weight i would still go everyday.

I just wanted to introduce myself here on the forums.

P.S. for some reason i couldnt get the photos of the bikes to upload. Any suggestions.
    Last edited by NC Medic; 06-19-2008 at 08:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Way to go! Glad you and your wife are enjoying it. My girlfriend and I ride a lot, too.

To post pictures, you need to have them hosted somewhere else, like flickr, photobucket, or myspace. Then, when you're drafting your post, you just click the image icon (yellow box with a mountain in it) and put in the image link.

[|MG]http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/mountain-bike-intro.jpg[/|MG]

will look like this:

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    welcome. I am new as well but we have a lot in common. I wanted to get in shape, my girlfriend decided to go with me on this and now we both love it. Gives us a nice hobby to share in.

Graphic Designer
    This is basically my exact story as well...

Welcome! ( I'm pretty new... )
    'Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.'
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I hear ya on the weight. I'm hoping to drop some fat riding my bike on the way to work! Biking is nice on the way, other bikers riding and waving and its nice to chat some too.
    Arron
    2010 Felt - New Belgium Fat Tire Cruiser!!!
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone
    1996 Trek 930 commuter

mtbr member
    Hope to see you all on the trail.

Hmm still cant get the pictures to work

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    NC Medic,

Good to see that you and the wife can enjoy it together. I do a lot of outdoor activities like hunting and fishing but my wife doesn't come along. Now I just bought a bike and she really wants to get one as well. I look forward to actually having a hobby/sport that we can enjoy together.

NormalNorm
    Sounds like your hooked on mtbing......Great stuff.

Yeah, ive always liked the bike better than the gym. It doesnt seem like "work". For me now, its a lifestyle. Couldnt imagine life without ridin'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Medic
    We have had a blast ever since. My initial reason for getting into MTBing was for the weight loss but now even if i didnt lose any weight i would still go everyday.

Welcome to the highly addictive world of mountain biking

I was in the same boat as you 3 years ago. I smoked 2 packs a day and weighed 225 pounds. I quit smoking and picked up mountainbiking as a reinforcement to staying off the smokes. Now I weigh 170 pounds, ride 4-7 times a week and cut my local loop times by 300%! I feel great and am many times stronger than I ever was. Hell, I weigh less than I did in high school lol. I love it so much now that it's not even a chore.

Stay with it man!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the encourgment. When i started two weeks ago i weighed 316 lbs and of this date i am already at 308. Hills are kickin my butt. I know with some time they will get easier.

To all those that have lost the weight good job.

Having my wife with me is awseome. Now we go riding instead of sitting on the couch watching tv.

mtbr member
    Very cool post. Welcome to MTBR NC Medic.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Still cant get the photos on here for some reason.

mtbr member
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Bike

[IMG][/IMG]

My wifes bike.

Finally got the uploading to work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Those are some nice bikes. I think its a great great way to get in shape. There are no fee's to pay constantly. You can go where u like, where u feel comfortable. I am 269lbs now, lost atleast 6 lbs in the last few weeks from eating better and some help from exercise. I hope to gain MUCH better stamina soon. I go for about 5 min and I am out of breathe.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Keep at those hills......it's one of the BEST ways to shed fat fast. The reward is once you become lighter......the hills suddenly become easier!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    just keep pushing it fellas. I use to weigh around 260 lbs. I have been on the bike maybe a month now riding it every other day, some times a short hilly ride or a long (10 miles) flat ride but I can see the difference and my girlfriend can to. Dress pants that I just bought back in March fit my waist perfect then... I put them on this past weekend for a wedding and they were so loose I had to sinch down the belt.

I usually ride every other day and I try to do situps and pushups every night before bed.

mtbr member
    You guys are great, its awseome to see the positive results of biking. I agree it is very cost effective.

Anyone got any good ideas on slimming down my upper body, maybe a daily routine i can get into along with biking.

I wish everyone the best of luck on your weight loss goals.

Happy biking

Medic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Medic
    Anyone got any good ideas on slimming down my upper body, maybe a daily routine i can get into along with biking.
    I find that once your riding gets more aggressive and the trails get tougher, your upper body gets a much better workout

Usually what I do is some core exercises and light weights to keep body strength even. I do crunches, pushups, curls, and some shoulder strengthening exercises about 3 nights a week before I go to bed. This has worked wonders for my riding when dealing with technical terrain and climbing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hello,

First post. It's not my intention to hijack the thread, but I saw the NC in NC Medic's username and thought I'd post. I work for a local police department and just got LEBA MTB certified to ride while on patrol. I'm 43, 6', and was 225. Last time I got on the scale I was 219. The hills are getting easier.

I just wanted to drop a line of congrats and maybe we'll cross trails someday. I live in the edge of the Uwharrie Mountains in Asheboro, NC.

NC Medic,

Stay safe while riding those calls. Greensboro Paramedics sometmes wear bullet-proof vests.

Share the road.

Bud

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Equismith
    Hello,

First post. It's not my intention to hijack the thread, but I saw the NC in NC Medic's username and thought I'd post. I work for a local police department and just got LEBA MTB certified to ride while on patrol. I'm 43, 6', and was 225. Last time I got on the scale I was 219. The hills are getting easier.

I just wanted to drop a line of congrats and maybe we'll cross trails someday. I live in the edge of the Uwharrie Mountains in Asheboro, NC.

NC Medic,

Stay safe while riding those calls. Greensboro Paramedics sometmes wear bullet-proof vests.

Share the road.

Bud

I used to work in Greensboro with Guilford County EMS. Yes we did wear vests sometimes. I currently work in Rowan County for the EMS service. Salisbury officers also ride bikes in the downtown area. I live in Lexington and usually ride in Greensboro on the Country Park trails.

Nice to meet all of you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Great to hear about other's weight loss. Nice Going and good looking bikes, there Medic.

After laying off over the winter, I've shed 10 or 12 pounds this spring by biking and excercising. More importantly, my fitness level is improved drastically. I've never had high blood pressure that required medication, but it's usually higher than normal - borderline. I checked it on one of those machines in a walmart the other day, and surprise - 120 over 70. Granted, those machines probably aren't the most accurate, especially since I have to cram my arm in the cuff. However, they should be accurate enough to give a general idea. I was ecstatic!

It's funny that Bubba mentioned upper body. While pulling out of a trailhead over the weedend, I saw a guy walking and asked if he was having bike problems. He said, "no, I have a bike but don't ride it because it doesn't give me any upper body work". I just told the guy to have a nice day but thought to myself you aren't doing something right if you don't get upper body excercise while mtn biking.
    Last edited by rlouder; 06-20-2008 at 12:55 PM.