1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Fat bike conversion

Ok I understand that there might be other posts like this but I'm new here and was wondering if I could convert my 2011 norco bush pilot into a fat bike for very little money. My riding will be snow and sand because I have my other bike for the trails. Please help me

Thanks

Picture Unrelated
    Not like you're thinking. You can make your bike more suitable for sand and snow, but you can't just take fat bike tires and put it on your bike. Fat bike tires wouldn't fit in your frame, wouldn't fit on your rims, and would make the chain rub on the tire. Depending on the level of need, you could outfit your bike with the widest tire you can fit and run them at a low pressure. I did some snow riding this winter on hiker packed trail and did so with 2.4" tires. The uphill traction suffered some but it was good once you could get rolling.

It's going to depend heavily on what tire will fit in your frame, 2.4 is essentially as large as my bike will allow. 2.5 tires should be easy enough to find, you might even have a shop that will test fit them for you before you buy them. You could order some 2.7s (WTB and Maxxis have made them) or even the Nokian Gazzaloddi at 3.0 (not sure if they make that anymore) but I would make sure I did so only with a shop with a very generous return policy. 2.5 should fit all but the most tight rear triangles of a hardtail provided your rim is true and the wheel dished properly.

Not sure if this helps. Failing that, sell that bike and put the money towards a new fattie.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?