1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

False advertisement from BikesDirect...

I was looking at Motocbecane Fantom Elite DS from Bikes Direct for a while and decided to pull the trigger. This decision was based soley on the components at this price level. I figured I could always recycle the crap frame and transfer the components to a better one latter. Looking at the specs, the bike came with a RS monarch 3.3 and Avid Elixer Cr brakes. Much to my dismay, the shock that came on the bike was a bottom level RS Ario 2.2. A complete downgrade in my opinion. The brakes that came on the bike were Avid Elixer 5's which are entry level Elixers instead of the CR's as advertised. I am feeling dupped right now. Sure, the bike didn't cost much, but I was expecting what was advertised..

I emailed BD a couple times and have not heard a response. I guess you get what you pay for? If it sounds to good to be true.....then it is

If you are looking at a new bike, take everyone's advise on here and don't buy from them...I have now learned my lesson......end of rant

Tigers love pepper...
    Bummer. Hopefully the BD guy will be along shortly to address it. If he still hangs out in here.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    I say this is an April 1st troll on BD. In poor taste. This is a solid company, solid bikes, solid reviews all over the world, and despite growing, they are not shorting people on service, just cutting out the middleman.

mtbr member
    Wouldn't put it past the people who put the bikes together. My Road bike came with different cranks than they list on there site.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

MTB skillz = NADA
    I would call bd, and talk to their customer service. If they are unwilling to fix the problem, I would call my credit card company and file a complaint with them. I would tell BD that I was going to do that as well. You may have to ship the bike back, at your expense, but I would not keep the bike if I wasn't satisfied.

I have mail ordered something in the past with my debit card, and received something less than advertised, and my bank gave me the money back and chased after the company when I couldn't get the company to do the right thing.
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    I say this is an April 1st troll on BD. In poor taste.
    I considered that, but looking at his posting history I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    This is a solid company, solid bikes, solid reviews all over the world, and despite growing, they are not shorting people on service, just cutting out the middleman.
    Frankly you sound more like a BD shill than he does a troll.

mtbr member
    I call BS on you, must be an April fool's joke. Sometimes BD swaps different parts on their bikes, but they always list that possibility. And for the parts they swap out, they are equivalent or even better in some cases.

Here is how they list it when bikes may come with alternate parts:
    "NOTE: Wheels are Vuelta XRP PRO or Vuelta ZeroLite (No Choice)"

On the off chance this is not a joke, call them up and give them hell. They'll ship you the correct parts free of charge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    I call BS on you, must be an April fool's joke. Sometimes BD swaps different parts on their bikes, but they always list that possibility. And for the parts they swap out, they are equivalent or even better in some cases.

Didn't list that for my road bike. There listing says RPM Crank By FSA, not FSA Tempo Cranks which is what came on my Windsor Wellington 3.0. I am happy with my bike though. The Tempo are probably better cranks.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

MTB skillz = NADA

On the off chance this is not a joke, call them up and give them hell. They'll ship you the correct parts free of charge.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...elite_ds09.htm

Says the bike comes with Avid Elixir CR's. He should get that or they should reimburse him.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    A little googling led me to this
    Moto Fantom Elite DS 2007 on clearance -
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...fantom_eds.htm
    Front: RockShox Reba SL Air + Uturn Travel Adjustment (80-120mm) + PopLoc
    SPECIAL FREE FACTORY UPGRADE TO
    REVELATION 409 ROCKSHOX FORK + UTURN AND LOCKOUT!!
    100-130MM ADJUSTABLE TRAVEL +
    QTYS EXTREMELY LIMITED (MSRP $600)
    Rear: RockShox Ario 2.2 Adjust W/ LOCKOUT + Bar Mount PopLoc Adjust - 3"/4"/5" Travel Adjustable Air

Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc
    Moto Fantom Elite DS 2010 -
    RockShox Recon 351 WITH UTURN ADJUSTABLE TRAVEL (85-130MM) TurnKey LOCKOUT /Rockshox Monarch 3.3 Air with 3 Position Motion Control Platform Damping and Rebound

Avid Elixir CR Hydraulic Disc front and rear, 160mm rotor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    Didn't list that for my road bike. There listing says RPM Crank By FSA, not FSA Tempo Cranks which is what came on my Windsor Wellington 3.0. I am happy with my bike though. The Tempo are probably better cranks.
    So did you tell them or just let it slide?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Why is anyone going to complain on an upgrade :S

EDIT - I call BS on the OP. At worst, he confused models.

mtbr member
    Slide, because I honestly dont care. I just wanted to ride, not wait another week for a new bike to come just because the cranks that are listed are not the ones I got. Bike has treated me well the month or so I have had it.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    A little googling led me to this
    Moto Fantom Elite DS 2007 on clearance -
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...fantom_eds.htm

Moto Fantom Elite DS 2010 -

Stalker, I bet you're right, they do that quite often with last year's closeouts. They either sent the wrong bike, or the wrong bike was ordered.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    Why is anyone going to complain on an upgrade :S

EDIT - I call BS on the OP. At worst, he confused models.
    Pretty sure they are a upgrade. Actual FSA cranks instead of Cranks labeled as RPM, but made by FSA.

The 2007 model of the bike he bought does come with the Ario shock, but BB5 brakes.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    PM Mike from BD on here. He'll be able to help you out. hopefully.
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    Slide, because I honestly dont care. I just wanted to ride, not wait another week for a new bike to come just because the cranks that are listed are not the ones I got. Bike has treated me well the month or so I have had it.
    I'd still let them know so they can correct the problem, even if you're going to keep the crankset. I used to work in customer service and would always tell people that they can't get angry with me for not fixing something, when they never told me about the problem in the first place. They can't make it right unless you tell them they screwed up.

mtbr member
    I'd still let them know so they can correct the problem, even if you're going to keep the crankset. I used to work in customer service and would always tell people that they can't get angry with me for not fixing something, when they never told me about the problem in the first place. They can't make it right unless you tell them they screwed up.
    I am sure he will read this at some point.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayBeard Pirate
    I would call bd, and talk to their customer service. If they are unwilling to fix the problem, I would call my credit card company and file a complaint with them. I would tell BD that I was going to do that as well. You may have to ship the bike back, at your expense, but I would not keep the bike if I wasn't satisfied.

I have mail ordered something in the past with my debit card, and received something less than advertised, and my bank gave me the money back and chased after the company when I couldn't get the company to do the right thing.
    Assuming it's not a troll, I'm with Pirate on this one. Your credit card company is evil, but they'll be evil on your behalf if you think you've been defrauded. Try to work it out through customer service first, of course. It sounds like a pretty significant difference in dollar value.

There's a note on almost all spec sheets that components are subject to change without notice, but that should really only cover exchanges for roughly equivalent parts.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have read every post on this thread and though it is a coincidence that today is April 1st, this is not a joke. I have emailed customer service(after the purchase email) twice with my concern and have had no response. The only #'s I can fine on the website is a fax number and a credit card processing #. When I purchased the bike, there was no "closeout option" with different spec's and I paid the "full" price for it. I also understand that there may be mid-run component changes, and am fine with most of the ones stated in the specs sheet, but the components that were swapped out seem disproportionate to what was spec'd. It's almost like purchasing an Audi and the salesman handing you the keys to a Volkswagen. Both are good in their own right, but not in the same league.....I will give it another try to contact them and then off to the CC company to dispute. Other than this issue which is eating at me, the rest of the bike was fine.

mtbr member
    That sucks dude, I would PM Mike from BD and let him know the situation.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=306041

MTB skillz = NADA
    It's kind of cheesy that they don't have a phone number to call to speak to an actual person about a problem.

Screw it...at this point, I would just file a complaint with the credit card company. I would then send an e-mail to bikes direct telling them that I had filed the complaint with the credit card company, and if they want the bike back, they can send me a return shipping label and I would be happy to send it back to them (at their cost). Otherwise, they are out the money and the bike.

mtbr member
    Looks like u ether ordered the wrong bike or they sent u the wrong one. Look a bunch of posts up at diference between 2007 and 2010, with that said I would not accept that bike. I would want the better parts that u are owed. Mike should correct this no problem.
    SS Rigid =
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

pants on head retarded
    Give them a day or two to get back, these posts are 4 hours apart... Shitty there's no phone number though. I've seen Mike from BD post quite often when there's an issue - so have the faith.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Sounds like he got the Fantom Comp DS, what does the frame say.

My Fantom 29PRO SL will arrive tomorrow hope all goes well.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast