1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Eye Protection

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Eye Protection

Looking for some recommendations on eye protection.

Lots of trees and sharp sticks out there, any recommendation on biking glasses, especially something that is designed for moving fast and can't easily be knocked off. Short of safety glasses not sure what to do. Maybe something I could wear day or nite skiing in the winter as well.

My cheap sunglasses whistle when I ski and ride my bike fast, my eyes also water.

Thanks
    Blueliner.

mtbr member
    For sunglasses I wear my Oakley Flak Jackets. If I don't need sunglasses I wear a pair of clear safety glasses that have roughly the same style as my sunglasses. No issues with either. I thought about getting one of the systems that allow lenses to be changed out but haven't looked into the options yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Give the Oakley Jawbones a try. The most comfortable pair of cycling glasses I have ever worn and the ability and ease of changes lenses is awesome.

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    UVEX Crow Pro

Great ventilation, 3 lenses, opticaly perfect, very comfortable.

mtbr member
    Nice...price isn't to bad either...my only problem is I have a big noggin so I have to try before I buy. I have looked at the Jawbones before but never actually tried them on. My LBS has some that look nice but I can't remember the brand...they were about $60 I think and as far as I can remember they were a bike specific brand.

The more I think about it is might actually be the UVEX brand...I'll have to check next time I am there.

mtbr member
    smith pivlock v90

half the price of the oakleys and better eye coverage

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Apache safety glasses works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bRyAZSig228; 04-13-2010 at 09:28 AM.
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

Bike builder
    Have a look on PricePoint.com or ChainReactionCycles.com (depends where you are in the world) and you'll find riding glasses kits which come with 3 different lenses (clear, dark and yellow) for between 20-40 bucks. Okay the lens quality isn't brilliant, but they're designed to stop letting wind and dust in your eyes, and if you crash your expensive sunglasses aren't going to end up scratched (or worse!).
    Free bike maintenance videos every two weeks!
    BuildYourBicycle.com video podcast

usually cranky
    you could always go into marshalls and see what they have. sometimes you find a deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Native Hardtops with interchangeable lenses. Rode with the lighter colored lenses
    Then I bought my Oakley Flak Jackets with transition lenses. They were $210 at cost but got them for $100. amazing glasses...

NEVER EVER QUIT.
    Oakley M frames with the appropriate lenses to fit your face. I use the heater lenses and the glasses fit great and won't fall off. I have 2 pairs of these lenses in black iridium and clear and both are shatter resistant.
    "THAT'S EASY! HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS"!!