1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    I wear two thongs

External Vs. Internal BB differences

I've got a quick question is there any interface difference between an External bearing BB and an Internal bearing BB? I know the difference between external and internal but I was wondering say if my bike uses a 63mm shell internal BB right now and I want to change to an external bearing setup will it fit my frame or do the new external BB's use a different frame interface?

Thanks in advance for the help,
    -Eric
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

Former Bike Wrench
    First off...your bike will either have a 68mm or 73mm BB shell (unless its a Italian road bike). The new external BB's are 100% compatible with both these sizes. There are a few full suspension designs (I believe the Fisher Sugar is an example) that external BB's interfere with the swingarm pivot point. But otherwise, there really aren't any other issues.

I wear two thongs
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    First off...your bike will either have a 68mm or 73mm BB shell (unless its a Italian road bike). The new external BB's are 100% compatible with both these sizes. There are a few full suspension designs (I believe the Fisher Sugar is an example) that external BB's interfere with the swingarm pivot point. But otherwise, there really aren't any other issues.
    your right its 68 I always get the 2 confused I always for some reason think 63 and 78 thanks for the response though, I have been wondering that for a while now.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-