1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Explain Fork Lengths please

Can someone please explain what the multiple travel specifications mean? For instance, you can see below the Rock Shox Revelation RL shows that the 29" version is avaible with 140/130/120mm.

Does this mean there are three separate forks available, or that a single fork can be adjusted to give three separate travel lengths?

Specifications for Revelation RL

Travel 26": 150/140/130mm, 27.5": 150/140/130/100mm, 29": 140/130/120mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It could be either .those are a single fork that you can adjust.Some fork you can adjust while you ride ,some you have to take them apart to change the travel.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    It could be either .those are a single fork that you can adjust.Some fork you can adjust while you ride ,some you have to take them apart to change the travel.
    Yep, the Revelation has multiple travel adjustment available while you ride, typically lesser travel for climbing and greater for descending. Fox Talas system is similar in function. Other models such as the Rockshox Reba have internal spacers that require disassembly to add or remove to change travel length. Some riders feel the adjust-on-the-fly forks lack the sensitivity of a fixed-travel fork but appreciate the travel change benefits.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

MTB B'dos
    What you are seeing has nothing to do with travel adjust that you can do while riding, those are setting you can set the fork to internally - i.e. you have to strip the fork down to perform the change. FYI with the older Dual Air versions it was as simple as adding or removing spacer blocks on the air shaft to achieve the travel change, now with Solo Air you have to actually buy a new air damper rod of the correct length.

Glide was somewhat right about the travel adjust option, but not in lots of settings, these days there are usually only 2 options, so say for the Rev it would be 140/110 and the tech from RS is called just Dual Position, from Fox it's called TALAS and I think Marzocchi still use Climb It. The Fox Talas used to be a 3 position setup, but I guess they found most people normally used the extreems and not the intermediate setting so did away with it, that and 1 more setting means much more complication internally and one more thing to go wrong. Also to note, for Fox for sure is that their Talas forks are normally not as smooth as their normal forks.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

FKA Malibu412
    Lynx, thx for the clarify. You're right, the Rockshox system is Dual Positon Air (different than their Dual Air) with only 2 on-the-fly settings and that the OP's chart lists fixed settings for the Revelation with Solo Air or maximum travel if equipped with the Dual Position Air spring. Wow, Rockshox has a lot of tune-ability options these days. I wonder if most of them are actually any good?
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Redcoat

I have the 2014 revelation. I find it brilliant. It's super chunky but light exactly what I like for my all mountain needs. It's the 150 mm max travel.

It has total lock out and then adjust gradually all the way to Full damp.

The fox ctd also does this. Ctd standing for climb, trail descend so you adjust it to your environment but the ctd is more guidelines. You ride it how you want and use the option you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkb b hm

MTB B'dos
    Trying to follow how this relates to the OPs question of forks lengths and how they're adjusted?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brockwan View Post
    I have the 2014 revelation. I find it brilliant. It's super chunky but light exactly what I like for my all mountain needs. It's the 150 mm max travel.
    It has total lock out and then adjust gradually all the way to Full damp.The fox ctd also does this. Ctd standing for climb, trail descend so you adjust it to your environment but the ctd is more guidelines. You ride it how you want and use the option you like.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Redcoat

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Trying to follow how this relates to the OPs question of forks lengths and how they're adjusted?
    Read what the op later said and I was sharing what I have and what it does with the different adjustments then described the three adjustments the ctd stands for. It's educational and the op was referring to different settings on the same fork not simply different fork lengths. Read it carefully and you should understand better.

OP maybe I should explain the pic I put up better. If you look on the top of the fork stanchions you can see a lever where you can switch between rebound lengths. Apologies I wasn't too clear on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk