1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

entry level new bike

Hi, I am very new to mountain biking. I have hired bikes and ridden trails and now it is time to buy my first bike. I would appreciate opinions on what this bike would be like.. I can get it for 500 euros.
    Sterndale 1.0 mountain bike from Forme

Cow Clicker
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would look for other options including used bikes. The fork is bike path according to Suntour. Acera drive components are too low, Alivio is OK.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Yeah, great tool

Is there an app for that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If I lived in Ireland I would sell stuff and save up for a Grand Canyon CF 29 SLX 8.9
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainb...ke.html?b=3020
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I am new to mountain biking as well and was buying my first bike a couple of months ago.

In the end I was deciding between two different bikes and there was quite a big price difference between them. I went with the more expensive one. My friend chose the cheaper one with the idea that he's just a beginner (like myself) and don't need anything fancy. Now, after riding for 3 months I am still very happy with my bike while my friend is updating parts and not happy with the performance of brakes and front fork.

So shortly, whatever your budget is, go a bit above it. Get a good tool for whatever you will be doing so you can concentrate on enjoying riding and not updating your bike.