1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Enjoyng my new 2014 Hard Rock Sport Disc 26

Enjoyng my new 2014 Hard Rock Sport Disc 26-hrsd1.jpg

Ive been riding bikes, BMX, MTB, and Cruisers since I was maybe 6 years old. After a 2-3 year break of riding anything, I decided to get back in shape, and go have some fun. Picked up my Specialized 2014 Hard Rock Sport Disc 26" a couple of weeks ago and it's an absolute blast! I love the lockout and the preload on the forks, and the disc brakes are sweet. I'm still getting used to the shifter paddle layout, its similar to my Nishiki MTB that I had in the 90's. For an entry level bike this thing just rocks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a 2012 sport disc 29er, I love my hardrock also. Great bikes and specialized quality is top notch.

mtbr member
    Another Hardrock fan here! I have almost 300 miles on mine now, LoveIT!
    Mine is 13...now all three here 12, 13 & 14 LOL
    Happy Friday
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nice ride. I have a 2012 Hardrock Disc and at this point in time only the frame and tires are stock. Good luck with getting back into shape. I'm doing the same thing. Most of all have fun riding!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just got one 2014 like eljanitor but with 29er!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey all. I also have a 2013 Specialized Hardrock sport disc 29er. I love the bike, it has been a absolute tank. I have put about 700 miles on it since june of 2012. It's been in 2 really hard crashes. The only problem that I have had is, a rear wheel that would not stay true (replaced under warranty) and a broken front shift cable (after the worst crash ive had). I have ridden this bike way harder then I think it was designed for.

I have replaced the pedals w/ Azionic 420 flats, the tires are now WTB Bronson 2.2's. I also replaced the grips w/ some Raceface lock-on grips and put on a Specialized Blacklight Commandpost (100mm).