1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

egg beaters vs. spd

i have been riding spd pedals. what are the pros and cons of the egg beater style pedals? can i use the same shoes and just change cleats?

Go SOLAR...
    Yes..change cleats. I like them for ease of clipping in. 4 sides vs. 2. IMO all pedals are same once you get used to one or another. It really doesn't matter what I use now. The beaters do shed mud better, so if thats an issue then its something to consider.
    Go Solar...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yep, Oh and get ready for an eggbeater vs SPD battle

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by dust3313
    Yep, Oh and get ready for an eggbeater vs SPD battle
    How about neither, and just get the Times?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have been using eggbeaters on all my bikes for years and love them. They shed mub and snow better then the SPD's did and the 4 sided entery is nice too. There are different eggbeaters out there and they are not all created equil. I ride the SL's and have never had a problem. My ride partner runs the C's and MXR's on his bikes and we have noticed that the spring tention is inconsistant (different from left to right pedal as well as from set to set) causing engagement issues and he has had issues with berrings (CB's customer service has always made good but still a hastle, and have never had these issues with SPD's). Time and Look have a couple good options as well that are worth looking into

Go SOLAR...
    I like them all...it really does not matter to me one bit.
    Go Solar...

My spelling is atroshus
    My eggbeaters dd not get all rusty like my spd's.

I really like eggbeaters, but can go back to the spd's with ease if I have to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Ok. Sounds like mud and snow are the major issues with spd vs. egg heaters. I'm not having those issues with my spd's... Guess I'll stick to what I got.

My spelling is atroshus
    Quote Originally Posted by nate.
    Ok. Sounds like mud and snow are the major issues with spd vs. egg heaters. I'm not having those issues with my spd's... Guess I'll stick to what I got.
    It's a lot cheaper to stick with what you have. I got in the buisiness of bike gear whoring, then stopped when I realized I did not want to go down that road.

mtbr member
    Eggs are lighter, they have more float so there easier on your knees, they cost less, and they do better when conditions suck. They also have just as many negatives as they do positives, so one is not better than the other.

mtbr member
    I don't like Eggbeaters. If you pedal through the really rough stuff and hit them on a rock they will eject you as it is the same spring all the way around. Not cool at all.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    as previously stated eggies shed mud better, lighter, 4 entry sides.....but the cleats wear out about 3 times faster than spd's.....just so ya know...
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Stick with what you have. I'm a fan of Times, but it doesn't make sense to switch for the sake of switching.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm tired of the argument that 4 sided entry is a benefit of eggbeaters. I have never put my foot down on the edge of an spd pedal and not been able to clip in.

I make no other claims about either pedal system.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    I'm tired of the argument that 4 sided entry is a benefit of eggbeaters. I have never put my foot down on the edge of an spd pedal and not been able to clip in.

I make no other claims about either pedal system.
    it's easier to open a beer with eggies...how's that for an argument?
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Fat-tired Roadie
    Even the more weight-weenie members of my previous team got tired of Egg Beaters, and switched to SPDs. I really like my Times, though.

Are you have a problem with your SPDs? I hear nothing but good things about the current models.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Rub it............
    I've been riding the CB Candy's for almost 2 years now. Been thinking about switching back to SPDs due to the fact that the Crank Bros. pedals do not have a tension adjustment.

Every one in a while, I pull out of the pedal.

usually cranky
    eggbeaters rule, spds drool! just kidding, its just personal prefrence basically.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    great read!

turtles make me hot
    Another vote for eggs here.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    After a year of rock strikes, my CB Candy pedals literally exploded on the trail. I switched to Shimano XT pedals and never looked back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Egg beaters require a lot more maintenance than SPD's. SPD's are pretty bulletproof.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by zman9000 View Post
    Egg beaters require a lot more maintenance than SPD's. SPD's are pretty bulletproof.
    What kind of maintenance?
    I used to rebuild my old ones fairly frequently, but the new ones with the needle bearings have been issue free.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My only experience is with the old ones that required frequent overhauls. Cool that the new ones are better.

Eric at ITSA Bike Shop
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    it's easier to open a beer with eggies...how's that for an argument?
    I dunno... SPD's work really well to open beers. That being said, my old Nissan Sentra's door latches are still unbeatable in the beer opening department. Nonetheless, it's all preference. I think everybody here is definitely saying all the right things.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast