egg beaters vs. spd

Printable View

• 01-02-2011
    nate.
    egg beaters vs. spd
    i have been riding spd pedals. what are the pros and cons of the egg beater style pedals? can i use the same shoes and just change cleats?
  • 01-02-2011
    larlev
    Yes..change cleats. I like them for ease of clipping in. 4 sides vs. 2. IMO all pedals are same once you get used to one or another. It really doesn't matter what I use now. The beaters do shed mud better, so if thats an issue then its something to consider.
  • 01-02-2011
    dust3313
    Yep, Oh and get ready for an eggbeater vs SPD battle
  • 01-02-2011
    highdelll
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dust3313
    Yep, Oh and get ready for an eggbeater vs SPD battle

How about neither, and just get the Times?
  • 01-02-2011
    gnslr
    I have been using eggbeaters on all my bikes for years and love them. They shed mub and snow better then the SPD's did and the 4 sided entery is nice too. There are different eggbeaters out there and they are not all created equil. I ride the SL's and have never had a problem. My ride partner runs the C's and MXR's on his bikes and we have noticed that the spring tention is inconsistant (different from left to right pedal as well as from set to set) causing engagement issues and he has had issues with berrings (CB's customer service has always made good but still a hastle, and have never had these issues with SPD's). Time and Look have a couple good options as well that are worth looking into
  • 01-02-2011
    larlev
    I like them all...it really does not matter to me one bit.
  • 01-02-2011
    RBowles
    My eggbeaters dd not get all rusty like my spd's. :eekster:

I really like eggbeaters, but can go back to the spd's with ease if I have to.
  • 01-03-2011
    nate.
    Ok. Sounds like mud and snow are the major issues with spd vs. egg heaters. I'm not having those issues with my spd's... Guess I'll stick to what I got.
  • 01-03-2011
    RBowles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nate.
    Ok. Sounds like mud and snow are the major issues with spd vs. egg heaters. I'm not having those issues with my spd's... Guess I'll stick to what I got.

It's a lot cheaper to stick with what you have. I got in the buisiness of bike gear whoring, then stopped when I realized I did not want to go down that road.
  • 01-03-2011
    Grunion
    Eggs are lighter, they have more float so there easier on your knees, they cost less, and they do better when conditions suck. They also have just as many negatives as they do positives, so one is not better than the other.
  • 01-03-2011
    fixbikeguy
    I don't like Eggbeaters. If you pedal through the really rough stuff and hit them on a rock they will eject you as it is the same spring all the way around. Not cool at all.
  • 01-03-2011
    CHUM
    as previously stated eggies shed mud better, lighter, 4 entry sides.....but the cleats wear out about 3 times faster than spd's.....just so ya know...
  • 01-03-2011
    s0ckeyeus
    Stick with what you have. I'm a fan of Times, but it doesn't make sense to switch for the sake of switching.
  • 01-03-2011
    gmcttr
    I'm tired of the argument that 4 sided entry is a benefit of eggbeaters. I have never put my foot down on the edge of an spd pedal and not been able to clip in.

I make no other claims about either pedal system.
  • 01-03-2011
    CHUM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gmcttr
    I'm tired of the argument that 4 sided entry is a benefit of eggbeaters. I have never put my foot down on the edge of an spd pedal and not been able to clip in.

I make no other claims about either pedal system.

it's easier to open a beer with eggies...how's that for an argument?
  • 01-03-2011
    AndrwSwitch
    Even the more weight-weenie members of my previous team got tired of Egg Beaters, and switched to SPDs. I really like my Times, though.

Are you have a problem with your SPDs? I hear nothing but good things about the current models.
  • 01-03-2011
    frdfandc
    I've been riding the CB Candy's for almost 2 years now. Been thinking about switching back to SPDs due to the fact that the Crank Bros. pedals do not have a tension adjustment.

Every one in a while, I pull out of the pedal.
  • 01-03-2011
    b-kul
    eggbeaters rule, spds drool! just kidding, its just personal prefrence basically.
  • 11-08-2012
    jmike1487
    great read!
  • 11-08-2012
    NYrr496
    Another vote for eggs here.
  • 11-08-2012
    kubikeman
    After a year of rock strikes, my CB Candy pedals literally exploded on the trail. I switched to Shimano XT pedals and never looked back.
  • 11-08-2012
    zman9000
    Egg beaters require a lot more maintenance than SPD's. SPD's are pretty bulletproof.
  • 11-08-2012
    NYrr496
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zman9000 View Post
    Egg beaters require a lot more maintenance than SPD's. SPD's are pretty bulletproof.

What kind of maintenance?
    I used to rebuild my old ones fairly frequently, but the new ones with the needle bearings have been issue free.
  • 11-08-2012
    zman9000
    My only experience is with the old ones that required frequent overhauls. Cool that the new ones are better.
  • 11-08-2012
    ewiccami
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    it's easier to open a beer with eggies...how's that for an argument?

I dunno... SPD's work really well to open beers. That being said, my old Nissan Sentra's door latches are still unbeatable in the beer opening department. :thumbsup: Nonetheless, it's all preference. I think everybody here is definitely saying all the right things.
  • 11-12-2012
    cycling5280
    Eggs Beaters
    light and great mud clearance
  • 11-12-2012
    Jaybo
    I like Shimano better in the dry and Eggbeaters in the mud.
  • 11-12-2012
    ghettocop
    I concur with the poster regarding rock-strike ejections. I will not use CB pedals again because of this. XT's are bulletproof. Actually, so are the 40.00 m540's or 544's or whatever they are numbered.
  • 11-12-2012
    RTM
    Another vote for shimano. I've had a hard time getting my money's worth out of a set of egg beaters. On the other hand my XTs are 6 years old and on their third bike.
  • 11-12-2012
    CaTiRo
    TiMe
  • 11-12-2012
    highdelll
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CaTiRo View Post
    TiMe

RIGHT!?!
    You want indestructible with float?
    TIME

Done

I have no idea why SPD or CB's design is even around any longer :thumbsup:
  • 11-12-2012
    killarbb
    i am riding spd after buying a new set of beaters.........i love the look and the idea behind the egg beaters, i really do.....but i just cannot get clipped in nearly as quick.........like i wrecked a few times because i couldnt get in soon enough
  • 11-15-2012
    KAG5
    SPD's have treated me well. Just make sure you have them adjusted properly or you'll eat it on one side or another because you can't clip out fast enough. I've learned that lesson a few too many times. That's just my preference. In reality, it all comes down to your personal experience and preference with your equipment. :)
  • 11-15-2012
    shibiwan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KAG5 View Post
    SPD's have treated me well. Just make sure you have them adjusted properly or you'll eat it on one side or another because you can't clip out fast enough. I've learned that lesson a few too many times. That's just my preference. In reality, it all comes down to your personal experience and preference with your equipment. :)

Did you try using the SH-56's instead of the SH-51? The 56 is easier to release and has saved my butt quite a bit since I switched over.

-S
  • 11-15-2012
    KAG5
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Did you try using the SH-56's instead of the SH-51? The 56 is easier to release and has saved my butt quite a bit since I switched over.

-S

I haven't but what it appears to be for me is that on my primary bike (recently purchased from Craigslist) the pedals that came with the bike are the ones I have been riding and they were adjusted to the cleats of the previous owner and he had them tightened down pretty good. I'm just trying to tune them right so the pedals themselves aren't too loose or too tight. I haven't spent much time on them so I haven't nailed it yet, but I will look into upgrading my cleats as well while I'm at it! Thanks for the advice! :thumbsup:
  • 11-16-2012
    TwoTone
    It's personal preference.

I started with SPDs, had Time which I liked better and now on Crank Brothers and like those the best.

That being said, got the call yesterday that my Saint pedals are in :thumbsup:
  • 11-16-2012
    IoC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Stick with what you have. I'm a fan of Times, but it doesn't make sense to switch for the sake of switching.

..but it does make sense to switch for the sake of switching to Times!

I've used SPDs and hated the entry. I've used Eggs and had them disassemble themselves at bad times. I've gone back to my 10-year-old Time ATACs and haven't thought about pedals sense.
  • 11-16-2012
    danmtchl
    Well for those who hit rocks with your pedals, I would call that bad form. I used to use ATAC's and they are great pedals, but they are pricey. I decided to try eggbeaters and never have had a problem with them. I have used the regular eggbeaters and candy's.
  • 11-16-2012
    mrmas
    SPD's for me. I have had high dollar egg beaters come apart on me. I also know people who have ridden them for years with no troubles so maybe it was just my bad luck. I do prefer SPD's though. A set of XT SPD's are the gold standard. But hell, what is branded XT that isn't the cats meow?
  • 11-16-2012
    highdelll
    Quote:

Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post
    Well for those who hit rocks with your pedals, I would call that bad form....

well, yes, it's 'bad form' - but that happens every once in a while whether it's pedals hitting rocks or other.

IF your pedal does strike a rock - at that moment, your foot ejecting (as w/ CB's sometimes), is not the best thing to happen - as you are needing to regain some control
  • 11-18-2012
    AndrwSwitch
    I like my bike to be forgiving of occasional bad form.
  • 11-18-2012
    TiGeo
    Just tried some Eggs, buddy had a set he wasn't using..figured why not and plus, they are lighter than my 520s. Just don't feel the egg love..not a positive enough feel for me. SPDs are bullet proof.
  • 11-18-2012
    Xcisok
    It's personal preference. I have only ever had egg beaters, 4 sides to click in and good mud clearing.
  • 11-18-2012
    TwoTone
    Quote:

Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    well, yes, it's 'bad form' - but that happens every once in a while whether it's pedals hitting rocks or other.

IF your pedal does strike a rock - at that moment, your foot ejecting (as w/ CB's sometimes), is not the best thing to happen - as you are needing to regain some control

As can happen with any pedal. I have had a few hard hits as the rocks are currently well hidden by leaves and had yet to be knocked out of my Mallets.
  • 11-18-2012
    highdelll
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    As can happen with any pedal. ....

Don't agree.

I don't se a rock-strike affecting the SPD version one way or the other.
    And with CB's a strike hitting both 'wings' opens the cleat engagement, - with TIMEs, it's the opposite.

Yes, a one 'wing' strike can happen, but, it super unlikely if a non-eggbeater.
  • 11-19-2012
    Bowfish
    +1 for egg beaters. Been using mine for a very short time but really like them and never want to go back to non-clipped pedals.
  • 11-19-2012
    grizzlyplumber
    I have had the same pair of SPD's for 12 years and they are on their 5th bike right now. One bike that I bought used a few years back the guy threw in 4 pairs of egg beaters that all needed bearing replacements.

FOUR PAIRS?

I will stick with what works.
  • 11-19-2012
    Stumpjumpy
    The EB's are so simple in design and function, and so light. Rebuild kits are $15, and take 15 min to install. 5 yr warranty. Great pedals for the money.
  • 11-19-2012
    canker
    I don't know why these threads keep popping up. Everybody should know by now that TIME are the best :).
  • 11-19-2012
    Xcisok
    Quote:

Originally Posted by grizzlyplumber View Post
    I have had the same pair of SPD's for 12 years and they are on their 5th bike right now. One bike that I bought used a few years back the guy threw in 4 pairs of egg beaters that all needed bearing replacements.

FOUR PAIRS?

I will stick with what works.

I agree with sticking with what works.

I have had my egg beaters for a few years and no problem with them.

Maybe we have been lucky to get a set of pedals and had no failure with them :thumbsup: