egg beaters vs. spd

Printable View

• 01-02-2011
    nate.
    egg beaters vs. spd
    i have been riding spd pedals. what are the pros and cons of the egg beater style pedals? can i use the same shoes and just change cleats?
  • 01-02-2011
    larlev
    Yes..change cleats. I like them for ease of clipping in. 4 sides vs. 2. IMO all pedals are same once you get used to one or another. It really doesn't matter what I use now. The beaters do shed mud better, so if thats an issue then its something to consider.
  • 01-02-2011
    dust3313
    Yep, Oh and get ready for an eggbeater vs SPD battle
  • 01-02-2011
    highdelll
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dust3313
    Yep, Oh and get ready for an eggbeater vs SPD battle

How about neither, and just get the Times?
  • 01-02-2011
    gnslr
    I have been using eggbeaters on all my bikes for years and love them. They shed mub and snow better then the SPD's did and the 4 sided entery is nice too. There are different eggbeaters out there and they are not all created equil. I ride the SL's and have never had a problem. My ride partner runs the C's and MXR's on his bikes and we have noticed that the spring tention is inconsistant (different from left to right pedal as well as from set to set) causing engagement issues and he has had issues with berrings (CB's customer service has always made good but still a hastle, and have never had these issues with SPD's). Time and Look have a couple good options as well that are worth looking into
  • 01-02-2011
    larlev
    I like them all...it really does not matter to me one bit.
  • 01-02-2011
    RBowles
    My eggbeaters dd not get all rusty like my spd's. :eekster:

I really like eggbeaters, but can go back to the spd's with ease if I have to.
  • 01-03-2011
    nate.
    Ok. Sounds like mud and snow are the major issues with spd vs. egg heaters. I'm not having those issues with my spd's... Guess I'll stick to what I got.
  • 01-03-2011
    RBowles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nate.
    Ok. Sounds like mud and snow are the major issues with spd vs. egg heaters. I'm not having those issues with my spd's... Guess I'll stick to what I got.

It's a lot cheaper to stick with what you have. I got in the buisiness of bike gear whoring, then stopped when I realized I did not want to go down that road.
  • 01-03-2011
    Grunion
    Eggs are lighter, they have more float so there easier on your knees, they cost less, and they do better when conditions suck. They also have just as many negatives as they do positives, so one is not better than the other.
  • 01-03-2011
    fixbikeguy
    I don't like Eggbeaters. If you pedal through the really rough stuff and hit them on a rock they will eject you as it is the same spring all the way around. Not cool at all.
  • 01-03-2011
    CHUM
    as previously stated eggies shed mud better, lighter, 4 entry sides.....but the cleats wear out about 3 times faster than spd's.....just so ya know...
  • 01-03-2011
    s0ckeyeus
    Stick with what you have. I'm a fan of Times, but it doesn't make sense to switch for the sake of switching.
  • 01-03-2011
    gmcttr
    I'm tired of the argument that 4 sided entry is a benefit of eggbeaters. I have never put my foot down on the edge of an spd pedal and not been able to clip in.

I make no other claims about either pedal system.
  • 01-03-2011
    CHUM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gmcttr
    I'm tired of the argument that 4 sided entry is a benefit of eggbeaters. I have never put my foot down on the edge of an spd pedal and not been able to clip in.

I make no other claims about either pedal system.

it's easier to open a beer with eggies...how's that for an argument?
  • 01-03-2011
    AndrwSwitch
    Even the more weight-weenie members of my previous team got tired of Egg Beaters, and switched to SPDs. I really like my Times, though.

Are you have a problem with your SPDs? I hear nothing but good things about the current models.
  • 01-03-2011
    frdfandc
    I've been riding the CB Candy's for almost 2 years now. Been thinking about switching back to SPDs due to the fact that the Crank Bros. pedals do not have a tension adjustment.

Every one in a while, I pull out of the pedal.
  • 01-03-2011
    b-kul
    eggbeaters rule, spds drool! just kidding, its just personal prefrence basically.
  • 11-08-2012
    jmike1487
    great read!
  • 11-08-2012
    NYrr496
    Another vote for eggs here.
  • 11-08-2012
    kubikeman
    After a year of rock strikes, my CB Candy pedals literally exploded on the trail. I switched to Shimano XT pedals and never looked back.
  • 11-08-2012
    zman9000
    Egg beaters require a lot more maintenance than SPD's. SPD's are pretty bulletproof.
  • 11-08-2012
    NYrr496
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zman9000 View Post
    Egg beaters require a lot more maintenance than SPD's. SPD's are pretty bulletproof.

What kind of maintenance?
    I used to rebuild my old ones fairly frequently, but the new ones with the needle bearings have been issue free.
  • 11-08-2012
    zman9000
    My only experience is with the old ones that required frequent overhauls. Cool that the new ones are better.
  • 11-08-2012
    ewiccami
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    it's easier to open a beer with eggies...how's that for an argument?

I dunno... SPD's work really well to open beers. That being said, my old Nissan Sentra's door latches are still unbeatable in the beer opening department. :thumbsup: Nonetheless, it's all preference. I think everybody here is definitely saying all the right things.